Weather Forecast


Not quite the Sunday adventure planned

Sunday this time of year is normally my day to relax, maybe order some pizza or Chinese, watch some football and enjoy not being outside in the cold.

But this last Sunday ended up being the complete opposite.

I woke up Sunday morning to a phone call from my friend Kyle. I answered the phone half awake, and he asked "hey, you wanna come cruise around in Erin's Suburban?"

I figured I had nothing else to do, so why not make an adventure out of it? I wasn't expecting the adventure I ended up getting, though.

About 30 minutes later Kyle, Erin and one of my close friends, Chris, showed up at my house to pick me up. I hopped in and we drove out by Long Lake, basically deciding what we were going to do.

We each decided to throw $10 in the gas tank and to go out to the Smokey Hills for some mudding/hunting.

We drove the 35 miles out to the Smokey Hills and started hitting trails as soon as we got there.

On the second trail we were on, there was a huge puddle blocking the entire road (it looked deep, but it didn't look three feet deep).

We decided we'd just drive through it, which turned out to be a mistake. We got halfway through it, and we got stuck.

We rocked it back and forth, and got unstuck, but the water was about three inches under the windows, and water started flowing into the car through all the doors.

We got out of the puddle, and the truck appeared to be running fine. We drained the water out of it, and decided we'd keep going.

We drove around another 10 miles into the trails, and the truck started acting up. It died a few times (causing us to almost go into the woods because the steering wheel would lock up) but we managed to slowly make our way to Snellman.

We stopped at the gas station there and tried to fix the truck up, but to no avail.

The truck wouldn't go higher than third gear, but we decided we had no choice but to try to slowly make our way back to DL.

We got about seven miles when the truck finally died on the highway, and it didn't start again.

By that time, we figured we were officially screwed. It was basically blizzarding out, and we had no heat, and we were in the middle of nowhere.

A state trooper stopped by, and told us he was going to leave for 10 minutes, and if the truck wasn't off Highway 34 by the time he was back, he would have to tow it.

We pushed the truck about 500 feet uphill to an approach, and parked it there just as the trooper came back. We told him we had a ride coming and someone to tow the truck, and he left.

We started to panic after that -- we had just about swept through all our contacts, and we couldn't find anyone willing to pick us up, and we had no heat.

After about 30 minutes Kyle finally found us a ride, but it would be about 80 minutes before they'd actually show up.

Those 80 minutes consisted of the four of us huddling together, trying to gather whatever heat we could out of it.

Our ride finally showed up, and I got home at around 5:30 p.m., about two and a half hours after we broke down.

I've probably never wished I was home alone, watching the Vikings game so much in my life.

We locked the truck up, and left it there, and that was the end of my latest adventure -- not as fun as I thought the day was going to be.

Jonah Bowe is a senior at Detroit Lakes High School.