2009 WE Fest: Fargo man dies
UPDATED 12:53 p.m.
DETROIT LAKES - A 24-year-old Fargo man camping with his family at WE Fest has died, the Becker County Sheriff's Office said this morning.
The man, who lives in Fargo and previously lived in Fosston, was found unresponsive in a motor home by family members shortly before 7 a.m., according to a news release issued by the sheriff's office.
The motor home was in the Northwoods Campground.
Authorities responding to an emergency provided CPR on site and while the man was being transported to St. Mary's Innovis in Detroit Lakes.
The man was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Becker County Sheriff Tim Gordon said he wouldn't offer more details than what were released in an earlier news release. However, Gordon said talking about whether alcohol played a factor in the death "would be presumptious."
Gordon also said that autopsy results could be ready tomorrow afternoon.
We Fest officials directed questions to the sheriff's office.
"We Fest is unbelievably saddened by this. All questions need to be addressed to the sheriff's office," said Jayne Stauffer, media coordinator for We Fest. "We don't know anything. It's a sheriff's matter."
Stauffer added that it's We Fest policy that media not be allowed in campgrounds at any time, a request that is made by the guests.
The sheriff's department release said the man arrived at the camping site shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday, joining his family immediately.
The sheriff's office does not suspect foul play.
The man's name is being withheld until relatives can be notified.
Last year, a 17-year-old girl who died at the 10,000 Lakes Festival died from an accidental drug overdose, according to autopsy results released by the sheriff's office.
Ashley Marie McCoy was found dead in a campground site at Soo Pass Ranch on July 25, 2008.
The West Salem, Wis., girl died from an accidental overdose of oxycodone she had been prescribed to alleviate pain from a recent surgery, according to a news release. The autopsy also revealed a toxicity level of methadone.
There were also two deaths at the 10,000 Lakes Festival in 2007.