Arbor Month celebration encourages nature play
A decline in nature play has prompted the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to put this year’s Arbor Month (May) focus on encouraging kids to climb trees and play with nature in their back yards and within the community.
The 2014 State Arbor Month Celebration will be 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, May 17, at Oak Hill Park in St. Louis Park. The event will give families a chance to play with nature, while watching some of the best tree climbers in the state compete at the Minnesota Tree Climbing Championship.
State Arbor Month Celebration – May 17
- 9 a.m. — State Arbor Month ceremony with state dignitaries.
- 9:30 a.m. — Ceremonial tree planting.
- 10 a.m. — Musical performance by Kidtime with Rachel.
- 10 a.m.–noon — Nature play activities, exhibits and presentations.
- 8 a.m.–5 p.m. — Minnesota State Tree Climbing Championships.