Weather Forecast


Ask a trooper: ATV riders need license to ride in rights-of-way

Email News Alerts

Question: I got a DWI recently and my driver’s license is revoked and I no longer own a motor vehicle.

I do have an ATV and was wondering if I need a driver’s license to operate it.


Answer: In general, a valid driver’s license “is required” to operate an ATV on a road right-of-way (ROW).

A driver’s license is not required to operate an ATV on a designated trail that includes a ROW. 

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet?

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at and we can help you.