Authorities identify two people who died in garage fire in Wolf Lake
WOLF LAKE - The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's office has identified two people who died in a fire Friday in a modified garage in rural Becker County.
Gregory Scott Tabatt, 37, and Denise Dawn Beito, 37, both of Goodridge, died in the fire reported at 1:24 a.m. near the village of Wolf Lake in southeastern Becker County.
Both victims were found inside Tabatt's 1991 Chevrolet parked inside the garage, Sheriff Tim Gordon stated in a news release.
The garage was owned by a relative of Tabatt, who had been known to frequent the property. Tabatt and Beito apparently had arrived at the garage and, because of the extreme cold, started the woodstove and returned to the car until the building warmed up, the news release stated.
Initial autopsy results indicate a high level of carbon monoxide in both victims, likely knocking them unconscious, the release stated. A full toxicology report is expected later.
"The investigation revealed that this was a tragic accident and no foul play is involved," the release stated.
Fire marshals believe the fire may have started as a result of a woodstove used to heat the building, the release stated.