Cass Lake barn destroyed in fire, about 130 pigs lost
CASS LAKE - About 130 pigs were lost when a barn in Cass Lake was destroyed in a fire early Sunday morning.
The call to the Cass Lake Fire Department came in at 2:28 a.m. on the 48200 block of 323rd Avenue.
The barn was already gone upon arrival the Cass Lake Fire Department, said Fire Chief Tim Reiplinger.
But the fire was threatening a nearby home and fuel tanks, he noted. Neither caught fire and were undamaged,
A van that had some items inside also was engulfed in flames and was destroyed, Reiplinger said.
The Bemidji Fire Department was called for mutual aid.
About 130 pigs were in the barn and did not survive, Reiplinger said.
No people were injured.
Reiplinger said the homeowner awoke to find the barn already engulfed. He called 911, but the barn could not be saved.
The pigs in the barn had piglets, Reiplinger said. The owner did not want them to freeze, so there were heat lamps in the barn,
Those lamps are believed to be the cause of the fire, Reiplinger said.