Coming up: Fire & Ice, Toast to Tamarac
Thursday, Sept. 26
- Galactic Cowboy Orchestra: 7:30 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Quartet of talented Minnesota musicians combine virtuoso musicianship with adventurous writing and an ear for the unexpected, fusing a mixture of jazz, classical, bluegrass, art-rock, Indian ragas and their own original styling. Tickets are $18 for adults, $9 for students. Info: 218-844-7469 or www.dlccc.org.
- Pumpkin Fest: 7 p.m., Lake Park-Audubon High School Theatre, Lake Park. A new Lil’ Miss Pumpkin Fest will be crowned to kick off the annual community festival celebrating all things autumn (and, of course, pumpkins). Info: www.lakeparkpumpkinfest.com.
- Detroit Lakes Library Centennial: 7 p.m., Public Library, 1000 Washington Ave., Detroit Lakes. Jeff Scherer, designer of the addition to the Detroit Lakes Public Library, will help the library celebrate its centennial year with a presentation on how he designed elements that carry over from the original Carnegie library to the addition, and the challenges and joys of designing around a historic building. Free and open to the public. Info: 218-847-2168.
Friday, Sept. 27
- Pumpkin Fest: 5 to 10:30 p.m., various locations, Lake Park. Registration for the annual pumpkin contest at the City Center, as well as judging for the yard decorating contest both begin at 5 p.m. Raider Homecoming game at the high school football field versus the Frazee Hornets starting at 7 p.m., to be followed by fireworks at 10 p.m. Info: www.lakeparkpumpkinfest.com.
- Terri Clark: 8 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen Platinum-selling country singer Terri Clark will perform live on the main stage of the casino’s Event Center. Tickets start at $15 and can be purchased by phone at 1-800-313-7469, online at www.StarCasino.com, or via the “Events” tab on Shooting Star’s Facebook page.
- Toast to Tamarac: 4 to 8 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Hosted by the Friends of Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, this fundraiser will include wine tasting, appetizers, silent auction, games of chance and live music by the David Ferreira Trio. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door, and will include a special commemorative wine glass. Advance tickets may be purchased at Central Market, or by calling 218-846-9815 or 218-847-7193. Proceeds will benefit the environmental education programs at Tamarac NWR.
- Imagination Library Hoedown: 5:30 to 11 p.m., Shorewood Pub, 1743 Long Bridge Road, Detroit Lakes. Dust off your cowboy boots and grab your hat for an evening full of music, food, live and silent auctions to benefit the Detroit Lakes Imagination Library. Admission is $35, and includes dinner. Tickets can be purchased at Price’s Fine Jewelry, Central Market or call Amy at 218-841-2944.
Saturday, Sept. 28
- Pumpkin Fest: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., various locations, Lake Park. Pumpkin decorating, pumpkin carving and pumpkin cleaning contests throughout the day; classic car show at 9 a.m., “Taste of Pumpkin” at 10 a.m.; “Pumpkin Pie Polka Walk” at noon; blind golf cart driving at 12:30 p.m.; kiddie parade at 2:15 p.m. followed by the grand parade at 2:30; pie and ice cream social, brat feed both starting at 3:30; prize drawings and a bean bag tournament both start at 4 p.m. The three-person golf scramble at Green Valley Golf Course continues throughout the day (and Sunday as well). Info: lakeparkpumpkinfest.com.
- Toad Mountain Ranch Fall Festival: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Toad Mountain Ranch, 42273 State Highway 34, Osage. Come enjoy the beautiful fall colors with fun outdoor activities, including hayrides to the top of Toad Mountain, a petting zoo, and even fall color trail rides by request. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for children age 5 and under. Info: 701-261-1305.
- Fire & Ice Experience: 6 p.m., The Fireside, 1462 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. There will be three culinary stations, hors d’oeuvres and a variety of wines and beers as well as ive and silent auctions, music and more. Tickets are $60 per person and available by calling 844-0719 or by visiting the St. Mary’s gift shop.
- Ozawiindib Walk: 1:30 to 4 p.m., Itasca State Park, 36750 Main Park Drive, Park Rapids. The Friends of Itasca host the 26th annual 5K hike. Following in the footsteps of Ozawiindib—Ojibwe guide to Henry Rowe Schoolcraft in 1832. The walk starts at the Jacob V. Brower Visitor Center, follows portions of the Bike Trail, Ozawindib, Aiton Heights and Deer Park Trails and returns to the Visitor Center. Cost is $12 for adults, $10 for children, $30 per family. Participants will receive a t-shirt with their paid registration. Assemble outside the Jacob V. Brower Visitor Center at 1 p.m. Info: 218-699-7251.
Sunday, Sept. 29
- Holmes Jam Session: 2 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre Ballroom, 206 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Traditional fiddler Pam Longtine will lead participants in an afternoon jam encompassing a variety of musical styles. Free and open to all area musicians (and listeners). Info: 218-844-7469.
- Toad Mountain Ranch Fall Festival: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Toad Mountain Ranch, 42273 State Highway 34, Osage. See Saturday’s listing for details.
- German Culture Day: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Hjemkomst Center, 202 First Ave. N., Moorhead. Celebrate the rich heritage of Germany with authentic German food, music and dance performances, crafts and children’s activities, hosted by the Historical & Cultural Society of Clay County. Free and open to the public Info: 218-299-5511.
- Fall Color Photo Safari: 2 to 4 p.m., Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, Rochert. Experience autumn on the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, through the lens of a camera! With the fall colors nearing their peak, participants will travel by car caravan to some very scenic and perhaps less known areas on the refuge. Discover how Tamarac’s wildlife and plants prepare for winter, while getting some great photos along the way. Meet at the Chippewa Picnic Area located on County Highway 26, three miles east of the visitor center; free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.