Community Center: Holmes Theatre hosts shows, classes
Summer is upon us and the Detroit Lakes Community & Cultural Center, home of the Historic Holmes Theatre is your go-to center for fitness and fun in the lakes area.
Featuring Minnesota’s second largest indoor playland, the “Backyard,” the DLCCC is also home to a full fitness, aquatic and recreation center and an 800-plus seat performing arts theatre.
Historic Holmes Theatre
Tuesdays in the Park continues at 7 p.m. in the DL City Park Bandshell each Tuesday night through Aug. 27, featuring some of the best area talent.
Here’s the line-up:
- July 2 — Hardwood Groove
- July 9 — Shari Breznay
- July 16 — Doc & the Scrubs
- July 23 — Dennis Craswell
- July 30 — Rhoda Habedank
- Aug. 6 — Ulen Centennial Band
- Aug. 13 — Doc & the Scrubs
- Aug. 20 — Lewy Ronken Musical Revue
- Aug. 27 — Lakes Area Community Concert Band
Come hungry and enjoy Habitat for Humanity’s freewill picnic dinner from 6-7 p.m.
The Shadows Tribute Band presents “A Tribute to Roy Orbison” on Saturday, July 6, at 7:30 p.m. Tributes to Roy Orbison, The Everly Brothers, Gene Pitney, Bobby Vee, Dean Martin, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. Joined by a violin ensemble, the group plays the original music heard on all the hits, making it one of the top shows in America.
We also have workshops to let children’s creativity flow.
- Glass in the Garden, July 8-11 (ages 8-16) Glass Camp is heading to the garden this year. Work the “The Glass Lady” Becky Mitchell & create a mosaic bug or turtle, a stepping stone and mosaic a Citronella candle.
- Found Object Art, Aug. 19-22 (ages 8-16) Create whimsical pieces of art with found and recycled objects. A variety of objects will be on hand, but please bring in any-thing unique or funky that you would like to create with. Students can expect 1-3 pieces depending on where their creativity takes them.
Complete info in our Summer Program Guide available at www.dlccc.org.
The DLCCC is the perfect place rain or shine to bring your summer guests. From the Backyard giant indoor playland and the 8-lane pool with waterslide to 100s of pieces of weight and cardio equipment and classes for all ages, our state-of-the-art center will provide hours of fun for the entire family.
Day passes, annual and month-to-month memberships are available. Also, check out our group exercise classes. New participants welcome. Download a class schedule at www.dlccc.org.
Summer programs for youth and adults are open to both members and non-members.
- Detroit Lakes Midsummer Bike Tour — Saturday, July 13, between 7-9 a.m. Part of the 78th Northwest Water Carnival. See the beauty of the lake during a 13, 26 or 43 mile ride. Kids ride starts at 10 a.m.
- Generation Y Challenge Camp (ages 8-14) — July 9-Aug. 1, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4-5 p.m. We are going to sweat & challenge today’s youth with assorted obstacles and fitness games to keep everyone active while having fun.
- Zumba Basics — July 27 and Aug. 17. Learn the basic moves for Zumba classes, the styles of music and how to shake it led by Certified Zumba Instructor, Nancy Hebert from 10-10:15 a.m. Then stick around for a fun, exhilarating Zumba class.
- Zumba Beach Blast — Join the DLCCC Zumba instructors on the beach by Zorbaz for a great workout and fun party in the sun July 20 and Aug. 17, from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Stay for lunch at Zorbaz after class.
- Fun in the Sun ReBOOT — Work with Amy Lundberg to re-charge, re-boot & re-ignite. Aug. 12-16.
- 18th Annual Dick Beardsley Marathon — Dick Beardsley will be back for the Detroit Lakes Fall Classic on Saturday, Sept. 7. Run starts at 8:30 a.m. Sign up early to guarantee your spot: www.dickbeardsleyrun.com
Complete list of DLCCC & HHT programs, activities and prices available in our Summer Program Guide. Pick up a copy at the Front Desk, 826 Summit Ave., or online at www.dlccc.org. Registration available online for all programs.