Crime & Accident Report
The following items were taken from reports at the Detroit Lakes Police Department and Becker County Sheriff’s Office.
Wednesday, Aug. 13
- At 2:38 p.m. officers were called to a report of threats happening between two business owners on the 1200 block of Washington Avenue where the owners were in a heated argument over the placement of some fruit stand vendors.
- At 3:24 p.m. a theft was reported from the 600 block of Randolph Road, where a bicycle was stolen.
- At 1:21 p.m. officers responded to the Cuba Township Hall for a report of property damage/vandalism. Copper wires were reportedly stolen out of the lightning rod, which was bent. The bird weather vane was also damaged.
- At 4:50 p.m. Detroit Lakes fire crews responded to a report of a truck on fire along the 15000 block of Long Lake Road. Crews were on the scene for approximately one hour.
Friday, Aug. 15
- At 9:16 a.m. officers responded to a report of a hit and run in the Walmart parking lot in Detroit Lakes. According to the report, a pickup truck that was parked on the west side of the lot was damaged on its tailgate and bumper after it was struck and the driver left the scene.
- At 1:19 p.m. a burglary was called in from the 26000 block of Lindstrom Road in Detroit Township where a 42-inch television had reportedly been stolen.
- At 3 p.m. officers responded to the Buffalo Lake public campground where a six-gallon can of gas was stolen.
- At 3:08 p.m. police were called to the Department of Corrections house on the 300 block of Summit Avenue in Detroit Lakes where the windows were reportedly broken and items stolen from the house.
- At 8:34 p.m. a wallet was reported missing or stolen from St. Mary’s hospital in Detroit Lakes. The caller stated she had been holding her boyfriend’s wallet for him at the hospital where he was a patient, and it went missing from the place where she set it down.
Saturday, Aug. 16
- At 9:52 a.m. an iPhone 4 was reported stolen from the Hotel Shoreham.
- At 9:57 a.m. officers responded to a call from a man visiting Detroit Lakes from Fargo with two other men from Fargo. According to the caller, the two men with him stole six Viagra pills from him.
- At 4 p.m. a bike for sale at the BMX track in Detroit Lakes was reported stolen.
- At 6:52 p.m. officers responded to a hit and run accident along the 100 block of West Lake Drive in Detroit Lakes where a parked vehicle pulling out struck another vehicle’s trailer that was parked in front of it and left the scene.
Sunday, Aug. 17
- At 8:27 a.m. a call of property damage came in from the 600 block of West Lake Drive in Detroit Lakes where the lower panel of a garage was reportedly pushed in.
Tuesday, Aug. 19
- At 12:19 p.m. a theft was called in from the 30000 block of Tower Road where a full tank of gas was stolen out of a Dodge pickup. It is believed to have happened sometime the evening before.
Wednesday, Aug. 20
- At 10:09 a.m. officers were called to the 100 block of Pioneer Street where A Place to Belong was reportedly broken into and a cash box stolen. There was no immediate information as to how much money was in the box.
- At 11:37 a.m. a theft was called in from a residence along the 1400 block of Madison Avenue where two rings were reportedly stolen or missing. One was said to be worth $1,500 and the other $600.
- At 1:14 p.m. a resident along White Tail Drive in Becker County called to report somebody had — for the third time — stolen a street sign that said “White Tail Drive.”
- At 1:41 p.m. officers responded to the Lake Sports Shop in Detroit Lakes where employees called in a theft. Two males reportedly walked out of the store with a pair of tennis shoes. They were later recovered and the men charged.