Crime & Accident Report
The following items were taken from reports at the Detroit Lakes Police Department and Becker County Sheriff’s Office.
Friday, April 18
- At 9:41 p.m. Detroit Lakes Police officers responded to a call of a theft on the 1300 block of Pelican Lane, where residents reported a grill was stolen off the deck.
- At 8:17 a.m. the Waubun Fire Department responded to a house fire at 41424 County Road 34. Firefighters, assisted by the White Earth and Ogema Fire Departments, were on the scene for approximately one hour.
Sunday, April 20
- At 12:08 p.m. Detroit Lakes Police were called to a residence on the 1100 block of Highway 10 East for a burglary report. Residents stated the lock had been cut off their shed and five 20-pound propane tanks were stolen sometime in the past four months when they checked it last.
- At 10:28 a.m. the Becker County Sheriff’s Department responded to a reported burglary at the Cowboy Church at 39410 Highway 34. Electronics were reportedly taken and the basement was flooded.
- At 3:22 p.m. Becker County officers were called to a residence on the 11000 block of E. Lake Ida Lane in the Cormorant area where homeowners reported some lawn furniture stolen. Two white rockers and a table were reportedly worth $540.
Tuesday, April 22
- At 5:44 p.m. Detroit Lakes Police responded to a theft at Kmart in Detroit Lakes, where a customer attempting to send $1,000 by Western Union reported the money, which was inside an envelope, was stolen off the counter. Officers are still trying to locate a suspect, described as a white male approximately 21 years old, who is roughly 5-foot, 9-inches with a red shirt and blue pants.
- At 11:51 a.m. Frazee Fire Department responded to a house fire at 401 West Main Avenue in Frazee. A grease fire spread, engulfing the kitchen. All residence and pets were escaped without harm; fire crews were on the scene for nearly two hours.
Wednesday, April 23
- At 12:01 p.m. the Becker County Sheriff’s Department responded to a two-vehicle crash in rural Audubon that sent one woman to the hospital. The accident happened at the intersection of county roads 6 and 11. According to the sheriff’s office, a pickup driven by a North Dakota man pulled up to the intersection and without seeing the vehicle heading northbound, the driver pulled out. “The driver of the second vehicle says he didn’t want to T-bone him, so he curved slightly so that he hit him at about a 45 degree angle,” said Becker County Sheriff’s Deputy Shane Richard. A passenger in the northbound vehicle, Ruth Rittmueller, 69, of the Cormorant area, was taken by ambulance to St. Mary’s Hospital in Detroit Lakes with what Richard called “minor” injuries. The two drivers were not injured.
Thursday, April 24
- At 12:14 p.m. the Detroit Lakes Fire Department responded to a shop fire at 19772 295th avenue.
- At 9:55 a.m. the Becker County Sheriff’s Office was called to a lake cabin on the 21000 block of E. Height of Land Drive where there was a reportedly burglary. According to the complaint, the burglary happened sometime over the winter and several items were taken. The Minnesota State Patrol was then notified by the responding sheriff’s deputy that while at the scene, he had accidentally “rolled” his squad car into the garage door.