Crime & Accidents
The following items were taken from reports at the Becker County Sheriff's Department and Detroit Lakes Police Department:
Friday, June 13
At 4:41 p.m. an accident with injuries was reported at the junction of Highway 59 and Highway 34 in Detroit Lakes. A 1993 Ford driven by Lane Harald Skerik, 22, of Pinewood was southbound on Highway 59 and turned left in front of an oncoming vehicle driven by Christopher Keith Haats, 21, of Audubon.
Haats was traveling northbound on Highway 59 "at a high rate of speed" that will be determined by an ongoing State Patrol accident reconstruction, according to the accident report. He said he tried to stop when he saw the other vehicle turn in front of him, but could not stop in time.
The speed and turning action spun the two vehicles onto Highway 34, where Haats' vehicle struck a westbound van that had stopped for the traffic light on Highway 34.
The 2001 Dodge Caravan was driven by Melissa Ann Mischke, 29, of Lake Park.
Haats, who has a revoked Minnesota driver's license, was taken by ambulance to St. Mary's Innovis Health in Detroit Lakes.
Saturday, June 14
- At 12:39 a.m. a resident on the 24000 block of South Melissa Drive reported that someone rang the doorbell and ran, then a short time later threw a rock through a window.
- At 1:15 a.m. a 23-year-old man walked into White Earth dispatch to report he had just been stabbed at the Old Mission Grounds. Jeffrey James Bellcourt was treated at a local hospital, according to the sheriff's department. A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the case.
- At 1:58 a.m. a man on the 1200 block of Lake Avenue reported his wife's arm was stuck in a davenport. Officers used a metal-spreading bar to free her hand.
- At 6:45 p.m. a Detroit Lakes woman reported the theft of a charitable gaming bag belonging to the Humane Society.
- At 9:35 p.m. a Callaway woman reported an attempted mobile home break-in. Someone had tried to kick in the door.
Sunday, June 15
- At 9:54 a.m. a one-vehicle accident was reported on the 54000 block of Pearl Street, Osage. A motorist reaching for a dropped coffee cup ended up going off the roadway and hitting a tree. She was taken by ambulance to St. Joseph's Hospital in Park Rapids.
Monday, June 16
- At 1:50 a.m. officers received a complaint that two people were throwing construction cones around in front of Zorbaz. A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old man were arrested and cited for public nuisance.