Crime and Accidents
The following items were taken from reports at the Detroit Lakes Police Department and Becker County Sheriff’s Office.
Friday, March 8
- At 8:15 a.m. the theft of a gray and black metal toolbox from the back of a pickup truck was reported. The incident occurred two weeks earlier.
- At 2:16 p.m. child maltreatment was reported involving a vehicle westbound on Highway 34 just outside Detroit Lakes. The woman who was driving was seen slapping and hitting a child in the back seat repeatedly.
- At 3:22 p.m. allegedly child maltreatment, sexual assault was reported in Becker County.
Saturday, March 9
- At 1:07 a.m. a domestic fight was reported on the 800 block of South Shore Drive. A man reported his teenage stepson pulled a knife on him, then left the residence carrying a duffel bag. He was placed in shelter care.
- At 12:44 a.m. a rollover accident was reported on Highway 10 just west of Detroit lakes. The driver was out of the vehicle and apparently unharmed.
- At 2:56 a.m. a female reported being assaulted by her brother on the 17000 block of Highland Drive.
- At 3:22 p.m. a resident on the 24000 block of County Road 13 reported that someone had cut the hair off one of their horses’ tails. The animal was otherwise unharmed.
- At 5:06 p.m. a snowmobile accident with possible injuries was reported on Detroit Lake. Details were not available.
- At 5:32 p.m. a gray First Alert safe was found in the ditch on County Road 141 in Erie Township.
Sunday, March 10
- At 12:39 p.m. a stabbing was reported on Lynx Lane in White Earth. A male was reportedly stabbed. No other information was available.
- At 1:29 p.m. the theft of a woman’s wallet from an unlocked vehicle parked at First Lutheran Church was reported.
- At 6:57 p.m. a burglary was reported on the 3000 block of Highway 34. A door was kicked in and a heater and other items taken.
Monday, March 11
- At 8:42 a.m. a resident on the 700 block of Richwood Road requested help to leave his apartment, because the door had frozen shut from the outside.
Friday, March 15
- At 12:04 p.m. possible horse abuse involving 5-6 horses was reported off Highway 87 in Runeberg Township.
- At 12:55 p.m. possible child maltreatment was reported at a residence on County Road 31.
- At 5:31 p.m. a semi rig was reported in the ditch on East Cozy Cove Road. It was being removed with the help of a tractor.
- At 6:06 p.m. a rollover accident was reported on Highway 10 one mile east of Detroit lakes.
Sunday, March 17
- At 8:51 a.m. a mailbox on County Road 151 was taken out, apparently by a vehicle that went into and out of the ditch.
- At 7:49 p.m. a rollover accident was reported on County Road 7 just north of Lake Park. There were no reported injuries.
Monday, March 18
- At 11:08 p.m. a chimney fire was reported on the 400 block of West Avenue.
- At 5:44 p.m. an accident with minor injuries was reported at the junction of Andrews Avenue and Union Street.
- Andrea Diane Ellis, 42, of Detroit Lakes was eastbound on Union in a 2003 Ford four-door pickup truck.
- Brian Edmund Meyer, 55, of Detroit Lakes was northbound on Andrews in a 2008 Ford Super Duty. Conditions were snowy and Meyer had the yield sign, according to the police report, but didn’t see Ellis because of a snowbank. Ellis saw him but was going too fast to stop. They collided and she was taken by St. Mary’s Ambulance to Essentia St. Mary’s hospital for treatment.
Thursday, March 21
- At 10:32 a.m. police were called to help with a psychiatric patient who was getting unruly in the emergency room.
- At 2:57 p.m. thefts were reported at the DL community center.
Friday, March 22
- At 4:26 a.m. a roof collapsed on a dairy barn owned by the Aho Brothers on County Road 38 in Wolf Lake Township, killing and injuring a number of cows. No humans were hurt.
- At 7:57 a.m. the theft of a laptop computer was reported from a vehicle parked at Cenex in Detroit Lakes.
- At 10:42 a.m. a chimney fire was reported in Richwood Township. Firefighters from Callaway responded.
- At 6:51 p.m. a theft was reported on the 1500 block of Highway 10, Detroit Lakes.
Saturday, March 23
- At 4:04 p.m. police were notified that a house was egged overnight on the 200 block of Broadway.
- At 5:05 p.m. a burglary was reported on the 800 block of Longview Drive.
- At 6:05 p.m. the theft of a gray-green backpack from a motor vehicle was reported on the 200 block of Park Street.
- At 7:36 p.m. a domestic disturbance was reported on the 900 block of Willow Street.
- At 8:30 p.m. a car was reported stolen from the Washington Square Mall parking lot in Detroit Lakes. According to the report, the black 2004 Ford Escape with license plate 033-ENV had been left running and unlocked.
Sunday, March 24
- At 11:40 a.m. the theft of a wallet and pack of cigarettes from a vehicle parked at Holy Rosary was reported.
- At 12:56 p.m. the theft of a dark blue 1994 Chevy pickup truck with license plate SKX-926 was reported by Hanson’s Auto Sales in Detroit Lakes. Access was apparently gained by breaking a rear passenger window.
- At 4:31 p.m. a counterfeit $20 bill was detected during a transaction at Ice Cracking Lodge.
- At 6:36 p.m. property damage was reported at the White Earth Community Center.
- At 7:12 a.m. the following day damage was also reported at the Elbow Lake Community Center near Waubun.
- The building was forcibly entered, several items were reported missing, and many other items were thrown around the building. If anyone has any information they are asked to contact the White Earth Tribal Police Department.
- At 7:52 p.m. a purse was reported stolen or lost at Walmart.
Monday, March 25
- At 9:03 a.m. two businesses located in a building on the 1000 block of Legion Road reported burglaries. Entry was gained by breaking the front door and items were taken. A third business there was not burglarized. The Detroit Lakes Police Department is investigating but declined to name the businesses involved.
- At 9:26 a.m. a snow blower was reported stolen from a home on the 1000 block of Campbell Avenue. The theft occurred from the driveway either Saturday night or early Sunday morning.
- At 10:03 a.m. a lost purse was reported by a resident on the 400 block of Main Street.
- At 10:41 a.m. a theft from a locker room was reported at the DL Community Center.
- At 1:06 p.m. a burglary was reported on the 800 block of Rossman Avenue. A man found someone inside his mother’s residence. The suspect fled on foot.
- At 1:13 p.m. EMS crews responded to Evergreen Township, where a 48-year-old woman had fallen off a horse and hurt her back.
- At 1:47 p.m. a scam message was received in Detroit Lakes, seeking $1,400 to be sent via Western Union to a son supposed in trouble in Mexico. The son was contacted and was fine. No money was sent.
Tuesday, March 26
- At 6:06 a.m. a ripped screen was discovered at Burnside’s in a possible attempt to gain entry.
- At 9:15 a.m. a gas leak was reported at the Bakery Outlet store on Highway 34 after snow and ice slid from the roof and sheared off a gas pipe, according to KDLM Radio. Authorities were on the scene for about 20 minutes.
Wednesday, March 27
- At 1:40 p.m. possible counterfeit bills were reported at Ice Cracking Lodge and a bar in Mahnomen.
- At 2:09 p.m. a backpack was reported stolen from pickup box overnight in Detroit Lakes, containing about $500 in tools.
- At 5:26 p.m. a residence Frazee was burglarized and trashed.
Thursday, March 28
- At 12:20 a.m. possible counterfeit bills were reported in Detroit Lakes.