Danell Haspel: Have a spooky Friday the 13th!
Have you ever wondered how many times the 13th lands on a Friday in any given year?
If you think about it, any month that starts with the 1st on a Sunday will contain a Friday the 13th, and that number varies per year.
(Three seems to be the maximum amount in a single year.)
The year 2012 was a frightening one, with three such Fridays, while this year we will experience the fright on two such 13ths, in September and December.
Let your library help you find some materials to enjoy the upcoming fright nights.
“Scary Movie 5,” directed by Malcolm Lee.
The “Scary Movie” franchise is back with hilarious send-ups of the latest and greatest horror movies, featuring the biggest celebrities around including Ashley Tisdale, Charlie Sheen, and Snoop Dogg.
“The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror,” by Stephen Jones.
This new anthology represents the most outstanding new short stories and novellas by both contemporary masters of horror and exciting newcomers.
The award-winning series offers a chilling overview of this year in horror.
- Thursday, Sept. 5 and Saturday, Sept. 7: Preschool Storytime, 10:30 a.m. Join us Thursdays and Saturdays for preschool storytime! Includes theme related stories, fingerplays and a simple craft.
- Thursday, Sept. 5: Teen Book Club, 3:45 p.m. Enjoy a snack and talk about the books you are reading. This month, we will talk about favorite books read over the summer.
- Saturday, Sept. 7: Totally Teen Advisory Council, 11:30 a.m. Meet over a light lunch to brainstorm ideas for teen programs and projects and then help to make them happen.
- Tuesday, Sept. 10: Kindle eReader Help, 10:30 a.m. Learn to download books from the LARL Digital Library to your Kindle ereader device. Come prepared with your library card number and you Amazon account password. Class size is limited to 6 people. Call, stop by or e-mail to register.
- Tuesday, Sept. 10: Bart Buch, Puppet Artist, 1:30 p.m. Puppet artist Bart Buch is going to be talking about making puppets and different ways to “animate” them, with a hands-on demonstration for participants!
- Tuesday, Sept. 17: Library Book Club, 3 p.m. This month’s selection is “The Light Between Oceans” by M. L. Steadman. All are welcome to attend.
The Detroit Lakes Library, located at 1000 Washington Ave., is open Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Thursdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.
It is closed on Sundays.
For more information on Detroit Lakes Library services and programs, please call 218-847-2168 or visit the website at www.larl.org.
Follow @DLNewspapers on Twitter