Deadline nears for state park camping in Minnesota
The deadline is approaching to reserve a campsite for seasonal or monthly camping at Minnesota state parks. Reservations are due Friday, April 5, according to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
At a limited number of state park campsites, visitors can stay for a whole month or a full season (May 3 - Sept. 1 at most parks, May 24 - Sept. 1 at Kilen Woods State Park).
For pricing and other park-specific information, or to submit a request to reserve a site, people should call the phone numbers listed below or check the DNR website.
Six state parks have monthly and seasonal openings for camping in 2013 including:
- Myre-Big Island State Park, Albert Lea, offers monthly or seasonal camping at four campsites, three of which have electric hook-ups. Call 507-379-3403.
- Lac qui Parle State Park, Montevideo, offers monthly or seasonal camping at three electric campsites and one with a full hookup to water, sewer and electricity. Call 320-734-4450.
- Upper Sioux Agency State Park, Granite Falls, offers monthly or seasonal camping at two campsites, both of which have electric hook-ups. Call 320-564-4777.
- Big Stone Lake State Park, Ortonville, will offer monthly and seasonal camping at one site with an electric hookup. Call 320-839-3663.
- Kilen Woods State Park, Lakefield, will offer monthly and seasonal camping at three sites with electric hookups. Call Phil Nasby at 507-831-2900, ext. 225, for information.
- Rice Lake State Park, Owatonna, also may have sites available. Call 507-455-5871.
If demand exceeds availability at a particular park, a lottery will be conducted Monday, April 8, and the park will notify applicants whether or not they were selected. If sites are available after this date, they will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. No preference will be given to monthly or seasonal campers from prior years.
For monthly campsite reservations, the entire monthly fee is due Friday, April 19. For seasonal campsite reservations, a one-month down payment is due April 19, and the remainder of the seasonal fee is due when visitors arrive to check-in.