Detroit Lakes firefighters respond to attic fire on Lake Avenue Friday
A house on the 1100 block of Lake Avenue in Detroit Lakes sustained moderate damage from an electrical fire late Friday evening.
A renter in the house at 1145 Lake Ave. called the Detroit Lakes Fire Department after a circuit breaker popped and she smelled smoke, according to DL Fire Chief Dave Baer.
"An overloaded circuit in a wall receptacle backed its way down to a wiring harness and started a fire in the attic upstairs," Baer said.
The fire was a little difficult to track down since it was behind short "knee walls" in the attic.
"We had to tear out some knee walls and dig out all that loose cellulose insulation that was smoldering," he said. "We had to shovel all that smoldering stuff out of the attic."
He said the house sustained moderate damage, since the entire upstairs area will have to be repaired.
Police and firefighters were called to the house about 10:45 p.m. and remained on the scene for several hours.