DL boys’ tennis falls in 1st round
The No. 6 Detroit Lakes boys’ tennis team fell to No. 3 Brainerd in the Section 8-2A team playoff Tuesday, thus ending the Lakers’ team portion of the season.
The Warriors won 5-2, but the Lakers ended the season by playing their best of the season.
“We played tough against a good team and everyone stepped up and played better than they have all year,” said DL head coach Patrick Starbeck. “I could not be happier with my team.”
DL won at the first singles match with Alex Fondrick winning 6-3, 6-2 and the second doubles with Brady Crawford and Dylan Bremseth coming out victorious 6-1, 6-1.
The Lakers will compete in the Section 8-3A individual tournament Thursday, with Fondrick and Chandler Hanks at singles and at doubles Caleb Howard and Austin Nelson on one team and Bremseth/Crawford on the other.
Section 8-2A team playoffs: (6) Detroit Lakes vs. (3) Brainerd at Brainerd, Tuesday, May 20
- Fondrick won over Kraemer 6-3,6-2
- Hanks lost to Lundberg 0-6,1-6
- Lunak lost to Meyer 3-6,0-6
- Eggebraaten lost to Stout 4-6,6-7(5-7 tie breaker)
- Howard/Friesen lost to Kleist/Bialka 2-6,1-6
- Crawford/Bremseth won over Anderholm/Ball 6-1,6-1
- Herrmann/Nelson lost to Rivard/Kalenberg 2-6,3-6