DLCCC- Holmes hosts shows for kids, adults
Whether you’re looking to get in shape for the upcoming swimsuit season, get your kids ready for the lake with indoor swim lessons or take in a show at the Holmes Theatre, there is a program or event for the whole family to enjoy at the DLCCC.
Historical Holmes Theatre
Our Tuesdays in the Park outdoor summer concert series kicks off with the Lakes Area Community Concert Band on Tuesday, June 4, at 7 p.m. in the DL City Park Bandshell.
Each Tuesday night through Aug. 27, there will be free concerts featuring some of the best area talent. Come hungry and enjoy Habitat for Humanity’s freewill picnic dinner from 6-7 pm.
The 5th Annual Shakespeare in the Park will be presenting “The Winter’s Tale” (how appropriate with the long winter season we’ve had) June 28-30 and July 5-7 in the DL City Park Bandshell. Want to be in the play? Auditions are May 9-11 at the Holmes Theatre.
St. Paul’s History Theatre celebrate the iconic Judy Garland on Thursday, June 13, at 7:30 with “Beyond the Rainbow,” a concert that explores the music and memories of her remarkable life, including hits “Get Happy,” “That’s Entertainment,” “Over the Rainbow” and more.
Frazee native Amber Schwarzrock is back on Sunday, June 23, with “Mozart to Broadway,” another night of classical singing, where she’ll be joined by pianist Paul Hiesler. This year’s program will be an exciting production of opera and Broadway scenes.
Do your kids love the stage?! Missoula Children’s Theatre is back and students in grades 1-12 can sign up to audition, rehearse and perform “The Princess and the Pea” on the Holmes Stage on Friday, June 21, at 7 p.m. and Saturday, June 22, at 10:30 a.m.
After a week of rehearsing, they’ll bring this classic tale with a twist to life on stage. The camp runs Monday, June 17-Friday, June 21, and there’s also additional workshops so kids can add to their overall theatre experience that week.
New this year is the exciting Z Puppets Workshop — an innovative arts and mindfulness program created by Z Puppets Rosenschnoz (try saying that 3 times fast!) from Monday, June 24-Friday, June 28. Ages 7-11 attend puppetry, songwriting and yoga workshops culminating in the “Monkey Mind Pirates” performance on Friday, June 28, 7 p.m.
Participants in the workshop will receive a Monkey Mind Pirates CD & Workbook, Yoga Mat, Sailor Hat & materials/instruction for making a shadow puppet and a black light puppet. The “Monkey Mind Pirates” performance is the world’s only Puppet-Rock-Yoga-Opera.
Plus, workshops for kids to let their creativity flow — Glass in the Garden is July 8-11, and Found Object Art, August 19-22.
Complete info on the Summer Program Guide is available at www.dlccc.org.
The “Backyard” giant indoor playland is the perfect place to bring summer guests. From the 6-level tube slide, bumper balls and climbing wall to the spider maze, jump blocks and punch bag forest, the Backyard provides hours of entertainment.
Day passes, annual and month-to-month memberships are available. Also, check out our group exercise classes. New participants welcome.
Download a class schedule at www.dlccc.org.
Summer programs for youth and adults are open to both members and non-members.
- We have added over 25 new programs, activities and events this summer for adults and kids.
- DLCCC Summer Day Camp - School will be out soon & the DLCCC Summer Day Camp will be better than ever with more field trips, themed days, added activities and even President’s Workout Testing. Call Dave at 218-844-4221 x 118 for more information. Day Camp runs 7:45 a.m.- 5:30 p.m, May 24-Aug. 30.
- Spring Splash & Movie Night - Friday, May 17, 4:30-7:30 p.m. — Celebrate heading into summer with pool games, water contests and more
- Teen Dance Night - Friday, May 10, 7-10 p.m., Rockstar DJ will be playing the best of British pop bands from Adele and One Direction to Ed Sheeran and Ellie Goulding. Dress to impress!
- Lake Girls on the Go - June 4-27, Tuesday/Thursday, 4-5 p.m. — running into program for girls
- Baseball — Leagues start June 4 from ages 3 and up.
- Tennis lessons — Lessons start June 17, maximum of 12 per group.
- Swim lessons — Summer session starts June 3 (high school) and June 4 (DLCCC). Morning, afternoon & evening sessions available from Parent/Child and Puddle Jumpers to Level VI.
- Summer Dive Camps — Bobbi Jo Koones is joined by Allison hall to teach grades 3-5 (begins July 8) and grades 6-12 (begins June 3) proper diving form and skills.
- Paddle Board in the Pool - Wait for the lakes to warm up, take care of your cabin fever and spice up your workout routine May 5 and 19 with Lakes Pace, LLC.
- Adult Softball Leagues — Men’s: May 30; Co-Ed: June 3; Women’s: June 4; Church: June 7. Register your team by emailing email@example.com or calling 218-844-4221 x 118. (List of softball tournaments listed in Summer Program Guide).
- Sand & Sweat - Prepared to get a little dirty, enjoy the outdoors and get a great workout Mondays, June 3-Aug. 26. Meet by the Pavilion.
- Fun in the Sun ReBOOT - Three sessions this summer with Amy Lundberg to re-charge, re-boot and re-ignite.
- DLCCC Golf Scramble to benefit DLCCC youth program scholarships and member scholarships. Friday, June 14, noon registration and lunch; 1 p.m. shot gun start, Lakeview Golf Course
- 18th Annual Dick Beardsley Marathon - It’s still a full summer away, but Dick is back for the Detroit Lakes Fall Class on Saturday, September 7. Run starts at 8:30 a.m. Sign up early to guarantee your spot: www.dickbeardsleyrun.com.