DLCCC - music coming to the park, projects for kids
Summer is upon us and the Detroit Lakes Community & Cultural Center, home of the Historic Holmes Theatre, is your go-to center for fitness and fun in the lakes area.
Featuring Minnesota’s 2nd largest indoor playland, the “Backyard”, the DLCCC is also home to a full fitness, aquatic and recreation center and an 800+ seat performing arts theatre.
Historic Holmes Theatre
Our Tuesdays in the Park outdoor summer concert series kicks off with the Lakes Area Community Concert Band on Tuesday, June 4, at 7 p.m. in the DL City Park Bandshell continuing each Tuesday night through Aug. 27, featuring some of the best area talent. Come hungry & enjoy Habitat for Humanity’s freewill picnic dinner from 6-7 p.m.
The 5th Annual Shakespeare in the Park will be presenting “The Winter’s Tale” (how appropriate with the long winter season we’ve had…) June 28-30 and July 5-7 in the DL City Park Bandshell.
St. Paul’s History Theatre celebrate the iconic Judy Garland on Thursday, June 13 at 7:30 with “Beyond the Rainbow”, a concert that explores the music & memories of her remarkable life, including hits “Get Happy,” “That’s Entertainment,” “Over the Rainbow” and more.
Frazee native Amber Schwarzrock is BACK on Sunday, June 23, with “Mozart to Broadway,” another night of classical singing, where she’ll be joined by pianist Paul Hiesler. This year’s program will be an exciting production of opera and Broadway scenes.
Do your kids love the stage?! Missoula Children’s Theatre is back & students in grades 1-12 can sign up to audition, rehearse & perform “The Princess and the Pea” on the Holmes Stage on Friday, June 21, at 7 p.m. & Saturday, June 22, at 10:30 p.m. The camp runs Monday, June 17-Friday, June 21 and there’s also additional workshops so kids can add to their overall theatre experience that week.
New this year is the exciting Z Puppets Workshop — an innovative arts and mindfulness program created by Z Puppets Rosenschnoz (try saying that 3 times fast!) from Monday, June 24-Friday, June 28. Ages 7-11 attend puppetry, songwriting & yoga workshops culminating in the “Monkey Mind Pirates” performance on Friday, June 28, 7 p.m. The “Monkey Mind Pirates” performance is the world’s only Puppet-Rock-Yoga-Opera!
Bonus: Sign your kids up for BOTH Missoula Children’s Theatre Camp & the Z Puppets Workshop & pay just $100 for 2 exciting weeks!
We’ve also got workshops for kids to let their creativity flow — Glass in the Garden, July 8-11, and Found Object Art, Aug. 19-22. Complete info in our Summer Program Guide available at www.dlccc.org.
The DLCCC is the perfect place rain or shine to bring your summer guests. From the “Backyard” giant indoor playland and the 8-lane pool with waterslide to 100s of pieces of weight and cardio equipment and classes for all ages, our state-of-the-art center will provide HOURS of fun for the entire family.
Day passes, annual and month-to-month memberships are available. Also, check out our group exercise classes. New participants welcome! Download a class schedule at www.dlccc.org.
Summer programs for youth and adults are open to both members and non-members.
- Youth Fun Run Obstacle - Saturday, June 29, 1-3 p.m. We’re challenging today’s youth with a ½ mile obstacle course for ages 4-8 and a 1-mile course for ages 9-14 at the DL Beach and City Park.
- Detroit Lakes Midsummer Bike Tour - Saturday, July 13, between 7-9 a.m. Part of the 78th Northwest Water Carnival. See the beauty of the lake during a 13-, 26- or 43-mile ride. Kids ride starts at 10 am.
- Generation Y Challenge Camp (ages 8-14) - July 9-August 1, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4-5 p.m. We are going to sweat and challenge today’s youth with assorted obstacles and fitness games to keep everyone active while having fun!
- DLCCC Summer Day Camp - School is out and the DLCCC Summer Day Camp will be better than ever — more field trips, themed days, added activities and even President’s Workout Testing! Call Dave at 218-844-4221 x 118 for more information. Day Camp runs 7:45 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. through Aug. 30.
- Zumba Basics- The third Saturday of every month (June 15, July 20 & August 17), learn the basic moves for Zumba classes, the styles of music and how to shake it led by Certified Zumba Instructor, Nancy Hebert from 10-10:15 a.m. …then stick around for a fun, exhilarating Zumba class!
- Zumba Beach Blast - Join the DLCCC Zumba instructors on the beach by Zorbaz for a great workout and fun party in the sun. June 15, July 20 & August 20, 11:30 am-12:30 Stay for lunch at Zorbaz after class.
- Fun in the Sun ReBOOT - Three sessions this summer with Amy Lundberg to re-charge, re-boot & re-ignite. June 17-21; June 24-28 & August 12-16.
- 18th Annual Dick Beardsley Marathon - Dick Beardsley will be back for the Detroit Lakes Fall Classic on Saturday, Sept. 7. Run starts at 8:30 a.m. Sign up early to guarantee your spot: www.dickbeardsleyrun.com
A complete list of DLCCC & HHT programs, activities and prices available in our Summer Program Guide. Pick up a copy at the Front Desk, 826 Summit Ave., or online at www.dlccc.org. Registration available online for all programs.