Fargo man accused of molesting young girls out on bond after posting $10K on latest charge
FARGO - A 20-year-old day care worker accused of molesting five young girls in his care posted $10,000 bond immediately following his appearance on the latest felony charge Wednesday morning.
A Class A felony gross sexual imposition charge against Jatten Heinen accuses him of sexually assaulting a 3-year-old girl with a child's toy at a Fargo day-care facility between September 2005 and December 2006.
Wednesday was Heinen's first appearance on the new charge. He has previously posted $50,000 bond on five separate felonies accusing him of molesting four young girls in his care at the YMCA West in Fargo last year.
Assistant Cass County State's Attorney Ryan Younggren asked a judge to require Heinen to post an additional $100,000 bond.
Heinen's defense attorney, Bruce Quick, suggested at most a $10,000 increase, saying Heinen has made every court appearance and the new charge predates the others.
Douglas Herman told the attorneys the allegation that the molestation occurred before the other charges is the detail that most catches his attention. He then set bail at $10,000.
Quick told Herman it would be posted immediately, saying a bail bondsman was waiting.
Herman warned Heinen not to miss a court appearance, saying that would cause him to increase bail to a "staggering" amount.
"You just simply wouldn't get out of jail," Herman said.
Heinen is facing an Aug. 26 trial on the five other felony charges, to which he has pleaded not guilty. He is accused of touching the children on a bus or while seated on a loveseat at the YMCA West, Cass County District Court documents state.
Heinen's next court appearance on the newest allegation is scheduled for Aug. 14.