Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Faulty furnace caused fatal carbon monoxide accident in Bemidji

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Detroit Lakes,Minnesota 56501 http://www.dl-online.com/sites/all/themes/dlonline_theme/images/social_default_image.png
Detroit Lakes Online
(218) 847-9409 customer support
Faulty furnace caused fatal carbon monoxide accident in Bemidji
Detroit Lakes Minnesota 511 Washington Avenue 56501

BEMIDJI -- The source of the carbon monoxide that claimed the life of a Bemidji woman over the weekend has been identified.

The source of the carbon monoxide is believed to be a faulty furnace in the basement and a faulty flue on the water heater, according to an updated press release from the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The Sheriff's Office responded Saturday morning to a residence in Frohn Township and found Coleen Lynn Jennings, 50, dead and three others sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Vincent Paul Beyl, 57, Emma Lee Jennings, 24, and Christopher Daniel Crew, 30, were all transported to North Country Regional Hospital and then transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center.

Beyl has since been released from HCMC. Emma Jennings is listed in satisfactory condition and Crew has been upgraded from critical to serious condition.

The man who alerted authorities to the situation, Gary Wayne Jennings, 20, was taken to NCRH for carbon monoxide exposure. Three Beltrami County deputies also were treated at NCRH. All four were released Saturday.

Final results of the investigation are pending as an autopsy is being conducted.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness