Favre retirement talk like a false alarm
On July 29, 2009, this newspaper's sports section had a headline that read: "ALL4NAUGHT."
It was in reference to the Minnesota Vikings "losing out" on star quarterback Brett Favre, who said he was retiring from the NFL - yet again.
"I didn't feel like physically I could play at a level that was acceptable," Favre was quoted as saying two Julys ago.
"I would like to thank everyone, including the Packers, Jets and Vikings - but, most importantly, the fans."
Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on Favre.
That is why it's hard to believe Tuesday's reports that Favre is calling it a career - for the third time - and it's really going to stick this time.
Don't buy it.
Reggie Bush, the star running back for the New Orleans Saints, is another nonbeliever. The Vikings are scheduled to open the season at New Orleans on Sept. 9 in a rematch of last year's NFC title game.
Bush tweeted Tuesday: "Brett Favre suppose to make 13Mill this year...enough said! We'll see him September 9th in the Superdome!"
To think Favre would walk away at this point makes no sense.
Why did Favre have the off-season ankle surgery? Why was he playing catch with high schoolers in Mississippi this summer? Why would he let the final pass of his career be an interception? Why would he leave all that money on the table?
This latest episode in the Favre drama seems like someone pulled the fire alarm in the building and no one is leaving - because no one truly believes there is a fire.
Favre retired in March 2008, July 2009 and now reportedly in August 2010.
Favre is coming off the best statistical season of his storied career. A Super Bowl-type caliber team - set to return all 22 of its starters if good old No. 4 "un-retires" - awaits the 40-year-old gunslinger.
Don't fret, Vikings fans.
Favre will be wearing purple at some point this season, even if it's not for the season opener against the defending Super Bowl champion Saints.