Fifty new New Year's resolutions for 2009
Everybody talks about making New Year's Resolutions, but very few ever make any. I offered 50 for you to pick 10 last year. You only picked three: Never park a semi on a frozen lake, vote, and don't go to bed with somebody whose name you cannot remember (well most of you picked the last one). And there's one none of you did -- run for president (except Dennis Kucinich -- I think he reads this column). So, today I'll offer 50 more for your choosing. Only one was suggested last year. Here we go.
1. Make a bucket list.
2. Thank a teacher.
3. Teach a kid how to poach an egg in the microwave.
4. Take piano lessons.
5. Take guitar lessons.
6. Practice, practice, practice.
7. Tighten your glutes.
8. Take fish oil daily.
9. Take Vitamin D daily.
10. Do 10 pushups.
11. Turn off the television.
12. Convert to optimism.
13. Ignore your cell phone when it interrupts anything worthwhile.
14. Have your teeth cleaned.
15. Take a vacation somewhere within 500 miles.
16. Go to church before Easter.
17. Love your kids.
18. Tell your kids you love them.
19. Walk five miles.
20. Do 20 pushups. (Yes, I remember number 10.)
21. Make a will.
22.Leave something to somebody outside your family.
23. Write a letter to the editor.
24. Ride a bike.
25. Never say, "I seen..."
26. Get your news primarily from newspapers.
27. Don't trust soundbites.
28. Try a new recipe.
29. Buy a shirt made in the U.S.A.
30. Read more books.
31. Read "All the King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren.
32. Develop "six pack" abs.
33. Don't be a Scrooge.
34. Don't be a jerk. (Not the same as a Scrooge, although it is possible for one person to be both.)
35. Help a Boy Scout cross the street.
36. Stop smoking.
37. Pay it forward.
38. Visit someone in a nursing home.
39. Attend the presidential inauguration in Washington D.C.
40. Visit somebody in the hospital.
41. Donate a kidney to somebody in need.
42. Just do it.
43. Just say no. (You know what I'm talking about -- and it's not the same as number 42).
44. Go to Medora and see the musical.
45. Then go to the Black Hills and visit Mount Rushmore.
46. Take in a Twins baseball game.
47. Write a kind note to somebody in prison. (Some of you know who I'm talking about.)
48. Attend a city council meeting.
49. Support your local schools.
50. Read this column every week. (This is the only carryover from last year -- you seem to have forgotten this one entirely.)
OK -- so you can't pick 10. Then just pick the one you hate the most and do it. Have a great 2009.