Weather Forecast


Fire chief’s house catches fire

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Detroit Lakes, 56501
Detroit Lakes Minnesota 511 Washington Avenue 56501

GLYNDON - When someone’s house catches on fire, it’s important to get the fire chief on the phone right away. It’s especially important when the house happens to be owned by the fire chief.

That’s what happened to Glyndon Fire Chief Bob Cuchna, who was at work at the Fargo fire department about 9:30 a.m. Thursday when he heard about the fire at his house in rural Clay County. Cuchna is both a captain for the full-time Fargo Fire Department and chief of Glyndon’s volunteer unit.

The fire was reported by Cuchna’s wife. Cuchna said the cause of the fire appeared to be the water heater, which one of his children reported having stopped working while taking a shower. He said the electrical breaker was discovered to have been off, and it appeared that there might have been a short in the electrical circuit.

Cuchna said the damage would have been far greater had it not been for the smoke alarms installed in the basement and throughout the home.

“They’re your first line of defense, and even then it (a fire) moves fast through your home,” he said.

The house will be uninhabitable for some time.