Fire totals house, injures owner in Breckenridge
BRECKENRIDGE - A blaze that started in a garage here destroyed the attached home and injured one of its owners Thursday, Breckenridge Fire Chief Paul Sorum said.
Firefighters were called to a pickup fire just after 6 p.m. at the home of William and Barbara Baumgartner at 722 10th St. N.
When they arrived, the garage was on fire, and William Baumgartner was just getting out of the burning pickup, which he'd moved into the driveway, Sorum said.
A firefighter helped Barbara Baumgartner get out of the house, he said.
The cause of the fire wasn't determined. Sorum said it may have had something to do with a wood-burning stove in the garage that the Baumgartners used to heat the house.
William Baumgartner suffered burns to his legs and was transferred to a Twin Cities hospital, Sorum said. His condition is unknown.
Barbara Baumgartner was taken to St. Francis Healthcare Campus in Breckenridge and was expected to be released today, Sorum said.
The house, two-car garage and pickup were a total loss, he said.