Frazee trots out '08 Turkey Days
For street shoppers who were too timid to navigate through the Downtown Street Fair's jam-packed crowds in Fargo last weekend, Frazee provides a small-scale alternative.
Frazee's annual Turkey Days celebration will feature about 30 street vendors, which is a high number of booths for a small-town festival, said Rita Stelzer, co-chairperson for the event.
"People can come browse and enjoy without feeling too overwhelmed," Stelzer said.
She expects more than 2,000 people to visit Frazee, which has a population of about 1,300.
Turkey Days is a four-day celebration that includes a street fair, Turkey Trot run, car show, parade and live music.
The festival starts Thursday with a turkey cook-off at 5 p.m., followed by a turkey calling contest and the Jr. Miss Frazee Pageant.
On Friday, there will be a cowboy lunch, a sand castle contest, a kids carnival, water fights and a street dance.
Saturday will kick off with a Turkey Days breakfast and the Turkey Trot 5K run or walk. In the afternoon, there will be a nitro-powered truck and car demo and a road rally. Evening entertainment will include live outdoor music.
A car show is scheduled Sunday, followed by a turkey luncheon and the Turkey Days parade.
"There is absolutely something for everyone this year," Stelzer said. "The entire community is involved."
For more information about Turkey Days, visit www.FrazeeCommunityClub.com.
Frazee is about 10 miles southeast of Detroit Lakes, Minn.
Here's a sneak peek of other events happening around the region this week:
- North Dakota State Fair, runs through Saturday in Minot. For more information, visit www.ndstatefair.com.
- 10,000 Lakes Festival, Wednesday through Saturday at the Soo Pass Ranch near Detroit Lakes, Minn. Festival will feature 50 bands on four stages. For more information, call (218) 847-1340 or visit www.10klf.com.
- Becker County Fair, Wednesday to Saturday at the fairgrounds in Detroit Lakes. For more information, visithttp://beckercounty
- Crazy Days, Thursday through Sunday in Fergus Falls, Minn. For more information, call (218) 736-6951 or visit www.fergusfalls.com.
- Art in the Park, Saturday in Pelican Rapids, Minn. For more information, call (218) 863-1221 or visit www.pelican
- German Folk Festival, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at Rheault Farm in Fargo. Event will feature German food, entertainment and art.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Alyssa Schafer at (701) 235-7311