Girls’ tennis season comes to an end
The 2013 season came to an end for the Detroit Lakes girls’ tennis team, as they were eliminated from Section 8-1A play over the weekend in Grand Forks, N.D.
The Lakers fell to No. 2 seed Thief River Falls 7-0, while DL players were also swept out of individual play.
“This is the third time we have played Thief and having lost to them twice, I don’t think we went into the match with a lot of confidence,” said DL head coach Tanner Beauchman. “Thief is a very good team and we would have to play our best tennis in order to keep the matches close, but unfortunately that didn’t happen.”
India Fritz and Emily Seebold played a great doubles match and pushed Thief’s No. 1 doubles team, which finished second in the individual tournament.
Bemidji and Brainerd qualified for the sectional in the team competition.
In the individual portion of the tournament, Dani Unruh and Emma Maguire each lost in round one in singles action, while Fritz and Seebold, along with Carolyn Kinney and Devree Bunnis each lost in doubles play.
“I felt like we played pretty well in the individual portion of the tournament, but the draw had us playing some really good players,” Beauchman added.
Sub-Section team and individual tournaments at Grand Forks, N.D.
First-round team playoffs
Thief River Falls 7
Detroit Lakes 0
- Karley Jorgenson (TRF) over Dani Unruh (DL) 6-1, 6-2
- Kora Torkelson (TRF) over India Fritz (DL) 6-1, 6-2
- Brandi Malwitz (TRF) over Stella Foltz (DL) 6-1, 6-0
- Elle Jorgenson (TRF) over Sydney Fritz (DL) 6-0, 6-0
- Sabrina Okeson/Juliet Tuneberg (TRF) over India Fritz/Emily Seebold (DL) 6-4, 6-3
- Carly Lunsetter/Shawna Spears (TRF) over Devree Bunnis/Carolyn Kinney (DL) 6-1, 6-3
- Allison Okeson/Grace Thompson (TRF) over Krista Leaf/Maria Prouty (DL) 6-1, 6-0
- Alexis Konecne (Bemidji) over Dani Unruh (DL) 6-3, 6-4
- Ellie Bergstrand (Alexandria) over Emma Maguire (DL) 6-0, 6-0
- Walvatne/Daniels (Fergus Falls) over Emily Seebold/India Fritz (DL) 6-4, 6-3
- Lee/Kelm (Bemidji) over Carolyn Kinney/Devree Bunnis (DL) 6-0, 6-1