Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

House fire Monday leaves Detroit Lakes family homeless

Email News Alerts

A Detroit Lakes family lost their rented home to fire Monday due to preschool children playing with matches.

The fire started in a bedroom and spread to the rest of the house on the 1100 block of Wilson Avenue, according to Detroit Lakes Assistant Fire Chief Scott Flynn.

Advertisement
Advertisement

"It started with preschool kids playing with matches. They lit a bedroom on fire and it continued on to the rest of the house," he said.

"It sustained pretty heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the house," he added.

The fire was reported at 11:24 a.m. Monday and Detroit Lakes firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

Three children and two adults were home at the time of the fire. Nobody was injured. Their names were not immediately available.

The family is staying with family or friends, Flynn said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement