Weather Forecast


Howard Kossover: Social Security survivor benefits could change if widow goes back to work

Email News Alerts

Q: I work part-time while receiving Social Security retirement and will earn less this year than originally estimated. Can I change my estimate now?


A: This refers to the annual earnings test.  Yes, update your 2013 earnings estimate with Social Security now if your original estimate has changed.

Your own earnings from gross wages or net self-employment can reduce Social Security benefits to you during a year until you reach full retirement age (FRA). 

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet?

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at and we can help you.