It's in the name: Legendary, everyday names are attached to many different parks, venues around town
What's in a name?
Last month the histories of local street names were given. Now, by request, here are some of the other landmark histories in and around Detroit Lakes.
Tom Lyscio Little League Field
The Tom Lyscio Little League Field, located near the tennis courts at Detroit Lakes High School, was named for a Detroit Lakes man who drowned.
In October of 1965, Thomas Lyscio drowned at age 23 while duck hunting on Kennedy Lake. At the time, he worked as sports director at KDLM radio station and was a Little League coach.
Out hunting with a friend, Lyscio shot a duck and tried retrieving it from his boat. The boat capsized and Lyscio drowned.
Lyscio was married with two small children, and although he had only been in Detroit Lakes for a year, the field was named for him in 1967.
Over the years, the field fell into disrepair and as part of an Eagle Scout project, David Gifford refurbished it in 2004. After he had finished the field, he invited the Lyscio family to take a look at the finished product.
Gifford and volunteers edged the field and base paths, removed the weeds on the field, extended the benches, leveled the posts for the benches, created dugouts, leveled the pitcher's mound and more. Gifford's group spent over 100 hours in the project.
He also made a sign identifying the field from one of the warped board benches.
Ralph Anderson Gymnasium
After nearly 50 years of sports reporting, the Detroit Lakes High School dedicated its gymnasium to Ralph Anderson, Detroit Lakes Newspapers' sports writer.
Although Anderson wasn't a graduate of DLHS, he had been covering games since the gymnasium was put to use.
"I saw the first game ever played there," he said in the Oct. 15, 1997, issue of the Becker County Record after the dedication.
Not only did Anderson provide the sports stories for the newspaper, he also wrote two columns, "Observations" and "Standing By in Sports," and wrote "Turning Back the Pages" from past newspaper volumes.
The dedication, which was a surprise to Anderson, was part of the renovation at the high school. The district spent $11 million on renovations and additions at the high school and additions to the elementary schools.
Snappy Park, fairly obviously, is named for Snappy, the business.
According to Detroit Lakes Community Development Director Larry Remmen, in 1993 Standex Industrial, doing business as Snappy Air Distribution, donated roughly 30 acres of land to the city.
"They donated it as a park and then we created a ball field," he said.
Snappy was incorporated in 1955 and in 1957, purchased 40 acres of land on the edge of Detroit Lakes, where they constructed a new factory.
Then in 1986, Snappy moved to a larger facility in the industrial park, and the 30 acres was donated to the city for a park.
The city has since turned the park into a softball field with several diamonds on the property, which are in full use all summer.
Historic Holmes Theatre
One of the most commonly known names around Detroit Lakes is that of E.G. Holmes, thanks in part to Holmes Street and the Historic Holmes Theatre.
A leader in the community, who seemed to be involved in everything around town, Holmes was elected to the first school board in Detroit Lakes.
Holmes School was built, eventually burned and then was rebuilt through a partnership to house the Detroit Lakes Community and Cultural Center and the Area Learning Center. The Historic Holmes theatre carried on the traditional name.
The 800-plus-seat theater has housed many music, dance, theater and arts performances, from local to international acts. The ballroom hosted Caberet Nights with local talent while the main stage saw performances by everyone from the New York Ballet and Ladysmith Black Mambazo to Deuces Wild! Dueling Pianos.
The theatre opened in May of 2002.
The 1988 football season started out on its newly dedicated field, Mollberg Field.
Named for Del Mollberg, who taught social studies and coached football for the Detroit Lakes School District for 27 years before retiring in 1985, the field was dedicated on Sept. 9, 1988, during halftime of the Mid-State Conference football game.
From 1940 to 1967, the football players played at Washington Park, and the season of 1967-68, volunteers built a field near the school.
"That entire football facility, without a doubt, represents the blood, sweat and tears of Del Mollberg," Ralph Anderson wrote in his Jan. 7, 1988, column.
School board member George Jernberg was instrumental in getting the field dedicated in Mollberg's name.
In 1986, Mollberg was also inducted into the Hall of Fame of the Minnesota State High School Coaches Association.
Mollberg died in 1987. His wife, Muriel, said it would have been nice for the field to be dedicated before her husband's death. She remembers that the volunteers deeply involved in the project besides her husband were Bob Lueben, Sam Hartman and Virgil Watson.
The sod for the field was trucked in via Swift turkey trucks, and Dell would received a call when a load of sod was in Detroit Lakes and it was up to him to unload it and get it on the field.
"I still don't drive by the field without checking to see how it looks," his wife said.
Amanda Foltz Arena
The show arena on the Becker County Fairgrounds is named for one of the untimely younger deaths in the area.
Amanda Foltz died in 1994 at age 15 while waiting for a heart transplant.
The Callaway girl, who was involved in danceline, FFA, church youth group and more, came down with a sudden illness on May 27, 1994. She was diagnosed with having pneumonia and one week later she was in a coma, waiting for a new heart.
She waited six weeks before she was taken off life support on July 13, 1994.
Foltz was also an active member of the Buffalo Badgers 4-H Club and was crowned the 1993 Junior Miss Becker County.
Lyle Crovisier Park
Years ago, the city of Detroit Lakes and the Rotary Club put up a memorial in honor of Lyle Crovisier, the son of a Detroit Lakes woman, who was killed in action in the service.
That memorial is the hill atop which the Boys and Girls Club of Detroit Lakes now sits.
Lyle's mother, Bernice Crovisier, deeded a 10-acre tract of land to the city, with the stipulation that the land would be used for a children's park.
In December of 1956, the Boys Club received an old schoolhouse from District 132, which was moved to the Lyle Crovisier Memorial Park.
The first annual meeting was held March 6, 1957, and in June of that year, it became affiliated with the Boys Club of America, the first club in Minnesota to do so.
Other significant locations
The Kent Freeman Sports Arena was named for Kent Freeman, who served as alderman in the city's Second Ward from March 1, 1957, to Dec. 31, 1964, and mayor from Jan. 1, 1965, to Dec. 31, 1980.
W.W. Rossman, city pioneer and justice of the peace, not only had an avenue named for him, but also Rossman Elementary School.
First president George Washington not only got Washington Avenue named in his honor, but from that avenue came Washington Ball Park.
George Simson Auditorium in the Detroit Lakes Middle School was named for George Simson, a longtime principal of the school district.