Every day is a good day to celebrate the youngest members of the community, but next week is an especially fun one for the kids and their families.
Week of the Young Child is being celebrated this week, April 6-12. There are free activities for children ages birth to 5 years and their families throughout the week at various locations.
Monday, April 7
- 9-11 a.m: A Trip Around Town
Children accompanied by an adult can start at Frazee-Vergas Elementary School (door No. 19) where kids will decorate a visor to keep and wear. Then kids and their parents can head out for the tour around town.
United Community Bank will have caramel corn and a goodie bag, Ketter’s Meat Market will have jerky samples, and All in All will have bunny cookies for the kids and coffee or cappuccino for adults. Twice Blessed Thrift Store will have a movie and a book for kids, Frazee Family Foods will have produce snacks with dip, and The Palace Café will have kids free meal coupons. The Frazee City Office will have police, fire and rescue vehicles parked outside for kids to tour, and the Frazee Care Center will have Play-Doh and puzzles with residents from 10:30 to 11 a.m. LINK Library will have a free book from West Central Initiative.
- 3:30 to 5 p.m.: Storytime at the Detroit Lakes library with a special animal guest. There will be a free book for all children at the event.
- 1:30 to 2:30 and 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Kindergarten Roundup at Roosevelt and Rossman elementary schools in Detroit Lakes.
Tuesday, April 8
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m: Playtime at the DLCCC Backyard.
- 4 to 5:30 p.m: Spring Splash in the Lincoln Education Center.
This will be the second year for the Spring Splash celebration, which is sponsored through Detroit Lakes ECFE, Partners in Parenting and Community Health.
“It is a spring-themed party to help families shake off the last remnants of winter and think about spring,” Shelley Skarie said. “There will be 12-15 spring themed activities for parents and children to do together.”
Activities will include paint a bib, baby food finger painting, face painting, plant a flower to take home, assemble a kite, go fishing in the fishing pool, feel different seeds in the sensory table, a healthy trail mix snack, a bunny rabbit for kids to pet and more.
Wednesday, April 9
- 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. and 1:30 to 2:15 p.m.: Children’s concerts with performer Jack Pearson in the DLCCC Ballroom
Thursday, April 10
- 10:30 to 11 a.m.: Preschool storytime in the Detroit Lakes Library with Clifford the Big Red Dog
Friday, April 11
- 9 to 10:30 a.m.: Ooey Gooey at Mahube-Otwa Head Start
- 10:45 to 11:45 a.m.” Indoor playtime at the Lincoln Education Center
- 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.: Spring Fest at the Washington Square Mall with food and fun activities
“We are excited to be the host location for this amazing event again,” Mall Manager Dawn Olson said. “We have over 100 pieces of artwork from pre-school aged kids, who are very artistic. The artwork will hang throughout the corridors of the mall. It is very esteeming for a child to see their artwork in a public place.”
The children’s artwork will be on display in the Washington Square Mall throughout the week.
During the mall event, kids can get pizza and ice cream donated by Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen, Olson added.
“Each child will have the opportunity to build bird houses and each booth has an interactive kids activity,” she said. “Clifford the Big Red Dog will be here courtesy of PPTV (Prairie Public Television).”
Tuesday-Friday, April 9-11
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Scavenger hunt to find Old Three Legs in the Becker County Historical Society
“We’ve hidden Old Three Legs, our friendly wolf, in 10 places around the building and you can come and search for him,” Executive Director Amy Degerstrom said. “When you’ve found him 10 times, you’ll get a prize. We hope you can join us where history comes alive.”
The scavenger hunt is open for children ages 8 and under.
Follow Pippi Mayfield on Twitter at @PippiMayfield.