Lake Park-Audubon board members honored
The Minnesota School Boards Association has set Feb. 17-21 as School Board Recognition Week in Minnesota as a time to build awareness and understanding of the vital function an elected board of education plays in our society.
Lake Park-Audubon joined all public school districts across the state in celebrating School Board Recognition Week to honor its local board members: Vicky Grondahl (board chair), Mike McIntyre, Bryan Anderson, Darryl Pederson, Richard Veit and Cara Bjerken.
The key work of school boards is to raise student achievement by:
- Creating a vision for what the community wants the school district to be and for making student achievement the top priority;
- Establishing standards for what students will be expected to learn and be able to do;
- Ensuring progress is measured to be sure the district’s goals are achieved and students are learning at expected levels;
- Being accountable for their decisions and actions by continually tracking and reporting results;
- Creating a safe, orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach;
- Forming partnerships with others in the community to solve common problems;
- Focusing attention on the need for continuous improvement by questioning, refining and revising issues related to student achievement.