Lake Region Arts Council awards $22,675 in grants
Lake Region Arts Council, based in Fergus Falls, awarded 13 spring project grants for a total of $22,675 on Tuesday, March 18.
The grants are designed to fund productions, exhibits, touring artists and school residencies for non profit arts organizations and public entities such as K-12 schools, colleges, and universities. The funding for this program is provided by a Minnesota State Legislative appropriation.
Some of the grant recipients include:
- Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County, Moorhead, $1,870. This grant will fund the premier art quilt collection called Quilt National 2013 at the Hjemkomst Center in Moorhead to coincide with the Indian Summer Quilt Conference. The exhibit will feature 26 pieces from artists throughout the United States, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands.
- Concordia Percussion Ensemble, Moorhead, $2,200. This grant will fund their Percussion Day on Saturday, April 5, 2014. This is a one day educational event where students, teachers, professional musicians and the community can interact with world-class artists in the field of percussion.
- Minnesota State University Moorhead Department of Music Percussion Studio, Moorhead, $2,995. This grant will fund A Day of Percussion/Steelband Music Festival to be hosted at MSUM on Nov. 15. It will feature college and university steelbands from across Minnesota and North Dakota performing alongside Grammy winning guest artists Andy Narell (steelpan), and Mark Walker (drumset), with additional clinic by Allen Teel (timpani).
- History and Cultural Association of East Otter Tail County, Perham, MN $3,000. This grant will cover the cost of working with a consultant to revitalize the Pioneer Festival in Perham, Minnesota. The goals include surveying interest in fine arts, music and theater to raise public awareness and garner input to plan for a 2015 festival.
- Fargo Moorhead Chamber Chorale, Moorhead, $1,400. This grant will fund the Fargo-Moorhead Chamber Chorale to travel to Perham to present a concert of choral music in the newly established Perham Center for the Arts on Saturday, April 12. The Perham High School Choir will join in song, and the Chamber Chorale’s Artistic Director will present a music workshop to the PHS Choir.
- Ulen Hitterdal School, Ulen, $1,790. This grant will fund an artist residency featuring glass artist Jon Offutt at Ulen-Hitterdal School on Thursday, April 10. It will include an evening session with an Artist Talk and glassblowing demonstration. Offutt will serve as one of the judges at the juried elementary and high school art show.
For more information about applying for the LRAC Project Grant, call 218-739-5780 or e-mail LRAC4@LRAC grants.org.