Lightning causes apartment fire in Vergas
A lightning strike is believed to be the cause of an apartment fire in Vergas on Tuesday morning.
According to the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office, a Vergas resident reported the fire after walking by and noticing smoke billowing from the top of the roof of the apartment complex, located at 315 Frazee Street.
Upon arriving at the scene, the Vergas Fire Department confirmed there was a fire in the attic. Perham, Frazee and Wolf Lake Fire Departments also responded.
Perham Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said there were about 45 firefighters on scene. The fire occurred around 5:30 a.m.
No injuries were reported. The fire was extinguished with moderate damage to a single apartment.
Eyewitness reports, along with damage to the roof, helped authorities determine that lightning caused the fire.