Mobile home destroyed by fire
A mobile home was destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon on the 21000 block of County Road 6.
No one was hurt in the fire, which was reported at 5:38 p.m. by the owner, who lived alone and did not have fire insurance, according to Audubon Fire Chief Darcy Savig.
The owner of the older-model mobile home had been working on a heating unit of some kind and it malfunctioned and started the fire, which quickly spread before he could put it out, Savig said.
He called the fire department, which was on the scene for about five hours, with mutual aid provided by the Detroit Lakes Fire Department.
Audubon firefighters were called to the scene again the next day because the fire was still smoldering in the floor of the mobile home, which is considered a total loss, Savig said.
Savig, reached at work, did not have the owner's name available, but said the man works in Audubon and is staying with a sister in Hawley.