Montevideo terror suspect will remain in custody
ST. PAUL – A man law enforcement officials say was plotting a terror attack in Montevideo will stay in federal custody while more information is gathered.
Buford “Bucky” Rogers, 24, has been charged with one count of felony possession of a firearm. The Federal Bureau of Investigation said his arrest potentially stopped an attack in the city.
The hearing was continued Wednesday at the request of Rogers’ attorney, Andrew Mohring.
Mohring told U.S. Magistrate Jeanne Graham that authorities have released false information about Rogers. He also argued some information provided possibly violated local district court rules.
“The reality is there has been a lot of information and misinformation that has been released,” he said. He refused to specify what information was wrong.
When asked if he would seek a gag order for the rest of the case, Mohring said, “We’ll see. I hope that will not be necessary.”
Rogers has a prior felony burglary conviction, meaning he cannot legally possess a firearm. That is the only charge he faces.
Federal authorities seized explosive devices and weapons, including guns, pipe bomb materials and Molotov cocktails from his parents’ home in west-central Minnesota late last week in a coordinated effort by local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, the FBI said in a statement.
“The FBI believes that a terror attack was disrupted by law enforcement personnel and that the lives of several local residents were potentially saved,” according to the statement.
Rogers’ parents maintain he was not plotting an attack.
Rogers has been in custody since his arrest Friday.
Graham scheduled another meeting with attorneys and Rogers for May 17.
That meeting could be a hearing or an opportunity to check in on the status of information gathering, Graham said. That will be determined before the meeting.