A perfect pairing: Chicken Parmesan with fresh Caesar salad, warm bread
Karen Huber | Forum News Service
Nothing like digging back into your recipe bag of tricks to rediscover favorites you haven’t prepared in quite some time.
Easy overlook, with the hundreds of recipes that have accumulated over the years without enough meals in the year to serve them all.
I was reminded recently of a fantastic Chicken Parmesan recipe I needed to resurrect after listening to an Olive Garden commercial on TV.
It’s a great recipe, taking only a few minutes to prep, with the end result absolutely delicious.
Accompany it with a fresh Caesar salad (dressing recipe also included); and the warm silage bread and you have the perfectly complete dining experience.
A few baking tips:
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the spaghetti sauce before you place the dish in the oven to bake.
- Add the mozzarella near the end of baking time (about the last ten minutes) so the cheese doesn’t bake too long.
- I also baked the chicken longer than the 20 minutes in the first step (about 30 minutes) because the chicken I used was a little bit thicker than normal and I wanted to make sure it was done in the middle.
Because of the ease in preparation and its delicate gourmet quality, this would be a fantastic meal to serve when entertaining company. Whether a small or large group, they are sure to enjoy.
Until next time, from my kitchen to yours, happy cooking.
Oven-Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 jar (26 to 28 ounce) Spaghetti sauce of your choosing
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Dip chicken in egg, then bread crumbs, coating well. Place chicken in greased 9x13 glass baking dish. Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Pour pasta sauce over chicken, then top with cheese. Bake an additional ten minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with hot cooked pasta. (I used thin spaghetti, but it would be great with penne, rigatoni or any other kind.) Serves four.
Caesar Salad Dressing
- ½ cup real mayonnaise
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup plus 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Combine all in small container and blend well. Drizzle right before serving over a bowl full of fresh, crisp greens, topped with ½ cup of slivered almonds, ½ cup of craisins and several thin slices of Bermuda onions. Delicious.
- 2 sticks butter
- ¾ cup minced chives
- ¾ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. basil
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
Spread on each side of extra long loaf of French bread cut in half. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until mixture melts in. Slice in pieces and serve warm.
Karen Huber is the editor of the West Fargo Pioneer, a publication of Forum News Service.