Prosecutors drop felony assault charge against Bison linebacker
FARGO – The Cass County State’s Attorney said this afternoon that prosecutors are dropping the felony assault charge filed earlier this week against a star linebacker for North Dakota State University’s football team.
Birch Burdick said in a news conference that based on a review of surveillance videos and interviews with witnesses, prosecutors are dismissing the Class C felony aggravated assault charge against Travis Beck.
The 21-year-old was charged in Cass County District Court on Monday, accused of punching a man in the head multiple times in what began as a verbal fight in a downtown Fargo bar on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Police reports alleged the man Beck punched was found unconscious on the sidewalk on NP Avenue.
Misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest filed against Beck in Fargo Municipal Court are still pending, Burdick said.
According to the complaint filed in court, multiple witnesses told officers at the scene after bar close early Sunday that Beck was the aggressor in the fight.
The linebacker, who will be a junior for the Bison next year, was indefinitely suspended from the team on Monday pending further investigation.