Smoke detectors save lives -- check yours today
Many may tire of hearing about the importance of having working smoke alarms in one's home.
Last week's fire in Fergus Falls proved that following such advice can save a life -- maybe your own.
A 36-year-old man was pulled from his burning apartment home. The Fergus Falls Fire Department certainly deserves recognition for the rescue, along with a fellow tenant, and, yes, the smoke detector that woke the tenant and prompted her to call the fire department.
Had the detector not gone off, and the fire had been allowed to go unchecked for a longer time, the man, who was unconscious and already burned, may not have survived.
Clearly, there's a lesson here for all of us. Smoke alarms should be installed in every bedroom. They should be tested at least monthly.
The cost and time of having working smoke alarms is minimal. The cost of not having them, as we saw here last week, could be fatal. -- Fergus Falls Daily Journal