Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 c strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 oz strawberry gelatin (1/2 of a 3 ounce package)
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c lemon-lime soda pop (such as sprite or 7up)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 c half and half
- whipped cream or whipped topping (optional)
- Place sliced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with suger. Cover and place in the refrigerater until needed.
- For Glaze: In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and lemon-lime soda pop. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and strawberry gelatin. Set aside to cool.
- For Shortcake: Preheat oven to 425 degrees and set rack to middle position. Cut butter into pieces. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Using either a pastry cutter or food processor cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles course meal. With a fork, stir in the half and half, just until the dough is moist. Let stand for 1 minute. Lightly flour a workstation and turn the dough onto it. Fold the dough over on itself 2-3 times, until it is holding together and less sticky. Gently pat the dough into a 6” X 12” rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 8 pieces. Transfer to a buttered foil-lined baking sheet. Optional step is to brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Assembly: Split each biscuit horizontally with a serrated knife. Spoon strawberries onto both halves. Spoon glaze over berries. Place dollop of whipped topping on top of glaze. Serve.
- Tips: All items can be stored in fridge separately until ready to serve. To spoon the glaze on top of berries after it has been refrigerated, just microwave for a minute or two to make it come back to a more liquid state. You can use fresh or frozen berries.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 2 (28 oz) can Bush’s original baked beans
- 1 large finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 large finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 lb ground chuck
- 1/3 c ketchup (try hot ketchup for a kick)
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 4 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Texas Pete Sauce (or any hot sauce such as Tabasco)
- 6 slice hardwood smoked bacon
- 1 pkg Taco Bell taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown the ground chuck. Add Taco seasoning while browning beef. DO NOT add water. Drain beef and set aside.
- Combine beans, onions, peppers, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar & Texas Pete in a 16” X 10” casserole dish.
- Add seasoned beef to the bean casserole.
- Place bacon on top of beans. Cover dish with aluminum foil, leaving a corner folded back for venting. Bake for approx. 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking approx. 30 minutes or until bacon is brown and excess liquid has been cooked out.
BROCCOLI SLAW SALAD
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1-2 lb broccoli, peeled & chopped small
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 carrots, grated
- 1/4-1/3 c bacon bits
- 1 apple, peeled & chopped small
- To Taste: craisins, raisins, or chopped dates
- To Taste: walnuts, chopped
- To Taste: marzetti slaw dressing
- Mix well, cover, chill for a bit.
- Stir before serving.