Toddler alerts couple of fire in Moorhead attic
Moorhead firefighters are investigating a house fire that broke out shortly before 5 p.m. Friday on the city's north side.
The fire was reported at 4:52 p.m. in the attic of 711 14th St. N.
Moorhead fire units arrived at the scene in about three minutes. Smoke was coming from the second story, said Fire Chief Joel Hewitt. A couple and a toddler were home at the time of the fire, but all got out safely without injuries, he said.
Hewitt said the toddler was upstairs in the attic at the time the fire started and came down and told the couple about the fire. The couple tried to go upstairs but couldn't and called 911, he said.
The fire was contained to the attic, but the extent of damage to the home was unknown. Hewitt said the house also sustained water damage while crews extinguished the blaze.
It took firefighters about five minutes to put out the flames, Hewitt said. Crews were pulling ceiling panels inside the home to look for hot spots after the fire was extinguished.