Update: Children with matches start house on fire
A Detroit Lakes family lost their rented home to fire Monday due to preschool children playing with matches.
The fire started in a bedroom and spread to the rest of the house on the 1100 block of Wilson Avenue, according to Detroit Lakes Assistant Fire Chief Scott Flynn.
"It started with preschool kids playing with matches. They lit a bedroom on fire and it continued on to the rest of the house," he said.
"It sustained pretty heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the house," he added.
The fire was reported at 11:24 a.m. Monday and Detroit Lakes firefighters were on the scene for about an hour. Three children and two adults were home at the time of the fire. Nobody was injured. The house was being rented by Lisa Warren. It is owned by Jane Hokenson. The family is staying with family or friends, Flynn said.