This Week in Entertainment
Wednesday, July 3
- Last Summer on Earth Tour: Newman Outdoor Field, 1515 15th Ave. N., Fargo. Concert featuring Barenaked Ladies, Guster and Boothby Graffoe. General admission seating, rain or shine, all ages show; four-pack of tickets available for $99. Info: 866-300-8300.
- Ballroom Dancing: 7 to 9 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. A 30-minute lesson followed by open dancing and pizza. Admission is $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Sponsored by Northern Lights Ballroom. Info: 701-293-8306.
- BMX Racing: 7 to 9 p.m., Becker County Fairgrounds, Detroit Lakes. First time racers always race for free; registration opens at 6 p.m. All racers do, however, need closed toe shoes, pants and a long sleeve shirt for safety. A limited number of helmets are available for racers. Racing is open to all ages (even adults) as long as they do not need training wheels. Info: David Myhre, 218-841-8736.
Thursday, July 4
- Boat Parades: 11 a.m., Big Cormorant Lake (boats meet at north public access); 11 a.m., Lake Seven (boats will run clockwise around the lake); 3 p.m., Long Lake (boats congregate at public access, then travel north around the lake).
- Independence Day at Bonanzaville: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Bonanzaville, West Fargo. Events include grand opening of exhibit “Up in Arms: The Role of Guns in America,” Vietnam Veterans 5K/10K Run, parade at 11 a.m., barbecue picnic, Jason Huneke Show (from “America’s Got Talent”) at 7 p.m., films at noon and 3 p.m., horse drawn wagon rides, clown, food, music, train rides, pet adoption event from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., historical figure scavenger hunt and more. Admission is $10 adults, $8 seniors and students, $5 children, military and veterans free with ID, fireworks display from the fairgrounds at dark. Info: 701-282-2822.
- Fourth of July Gospel Celebration: 1 to 5 p.m., Romkey Park, 900 19th St. S., Moorhead. Free hot dogs, chips and pop, face painting, Christian and patriotic music, karaoke. Free and open to the public.
- Salute to America: 5 p.m., Messiah Lutheran Church, 2010 Elm St. N., Fargo. Patriotic sing-a-longs, film clips from World War I and WW II, stories from veterans, refreshments served following the program. Free will offerings will be accepted for the Wounded Warrior Project. Info: 701-237-6770.
- Independence Day at MSUM: 6:30 p.m., Nemzek Field, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. Inflatable games, decorated bike parade, Lake Agassiz Concert Band, Front Fenders, fireworks at 10:30 p.m., free parking in all regular spaces on campus property; concessions available.
- 8th Hour: 9:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Part of the Independence Day weekend “Beach Bash.” Info: 218-847-2121.
- Wildlife Excursions: 10 a.m. to noon, Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, 35704 County Highway 26, Rochert. Explore the refuge with a knowledgeable guide. Search for wildlife and learn about the cultural and natural history of Tamarac on this driving tour. Meet at the Chippewa Picnic Area on County Hwy. 26, just east of the visitor center. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
Friday, July 5
- 24 Seven: 9:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Part of the Independence Day weekend “Beach Bash.” Info: 218-847-2121.
- Songwriters Night at the Raven: 7 to 9 p.m., Red Raven Espresso Parlor, 916 Main Ave., Fargo. All ages show; admission is free, but all donations are welcome. Info: 701-478-7337.
Shakespeare in the Park Presents “The Winter’s Tale”: 7 to 10 p.m., City Park Bandshell, Detroit Lakes. A free performance of William Shakespeare’s tragicomic romance, featuring a cast of local actors. Written toward the end of William Shakespeare’s theatrical career, “The Winter’s Tale” is a story of loss and redemption — complete with a dance interlude featuring edancing shepherdesses and satyrs. Info: 218-844-7469 or www.dlccc.org.
Saturday, July 6
- Brown Bag Lunch Concert: 12 noon, Center for the Arts, Fergus Falls. Featuring organist Lance Johnson; reserved tickets are $5. Info: 218-998-2787.
- Blue Barry: 4 to 7 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Live music; no admission fee. Info: 218-844-5990.
- The Castaway with Denny Craswell: 5 to 8 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Live patio music; no admission fee. Info: 218-847-2121.
- S.O.L. Band: 9:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Part of the Independence Day weekend “Beach Bash.” Info: 218-847-2121.
- “A Tribute to Roy Orbison”: 7:30 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. The Shadows Band performs the music of Roy Orbison, The Everly Brothers, Gene Pitney, Bobby Vee, Dean Martin, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. Joined by a violin ensemble, the group plays the original arrangements of these rock and roll classics. Tickets are $23 in advance, $26 at the door. Info: 218-844-7469 or dlccc.org.
- Shakespeare in the Park Presents “The Winter’s Tale”: 7 to 10 p.m., City Park Bandshell, Detroit Lakes. See Friday’s listing for details.
Sunday, July 7
- Shakespeare in the Park Presents “The Winter’s Tale”: 4 to 7 p.m., City Park Bandshell, Detroit Lakes. See Friday’s listing for details.
- The Castaway with Denny Craswell: 5 to 8 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. See Saturday’s listing for details.
- Tucker’d Out: 4 to 7 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Live music; no admission fee. Info: 218-844-5990.
- Free Blues Concert: 5 to 9 p.m., Doublewood Inn, 3333 13th Ave. S., Fargo. Sponsored by the Muddy River Blues Society featuring California-based Laurie Morvan Band. No admission fee. Info: 701-235-3333.
- Nicholas David & The Feelin’: 8 p.m., Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, Fargo. Singer/pianist and finalist from “The Voice” performs with the Elevate Rock School Band at the 2nd annual Cody Conner Memorial Festival. Tickets are $25, or $100 VIP (front row seat, meet and greet included). Info: 866-300-8300.
*** The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at firstname.lastname@example.org.