This Week in Entertainment
Sunday, July 7
- Shakespeare in the Park Presents “The Winter’s Tale”: 4 to 7 p.m., City Park Bandshell, Detroit Lakes. A free performance of William Shakespeare’s tragicomic romance, featuring a cast of local actors. Written toward the end of William Shakespeare’s theatrical career, “The Winter’s Tale” is a story of loss and redemption — complete with a dance interlude featuring dancing shepherdesses and satyrs. Info: 218-844-7469 or www.dlccc.org.
- The Castaway with Denny Craswell: 5 to 8 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Live patio music; no admission fee. Info: 218-847-2121.
- Tucker’d Out: 4 to 7 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Live music; no admission fee. Info: 218-844-5990.
- Free Blues Concert: 5 to 9 p.m., Doublewood Inn, 3333 13th Ave. S., Fargo. Sponsored by the Muddy River Blues Society featuring California-based Laurie Morvan Band. No admission fee. Info: 701-235-3333.
- Nicholas David & The Feelin’: 8 p.m., Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, Fargo. Singer/pianist and finalist from “The Voice” performs with the Elevate Rock School Band at the 2nd annual Cody Conner Memorial Festival. Tickets are $25, or $100 VIP (front row seat, meet and greet included). Info: 866-300-8300.
Monday, July 8
- Glass in the Garden: 9 to 11:30 a.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Glass Camp is heading to the garden this year! Work with “The Glass Lady,” Becky Mitchell and create a mosaic bug or turtle, a stepping stone and mosaic a Citronella candle. Cost is $75 per student. Info: 218-844-7469 and www.dlccc.org.
Tuesday, July 9
- Shari Breznay: 7 to 9 p.m., City Park Bandshell, Detroit Lakes. Come early for a community picnic provided by Habitat for Humanity; free will donations gratefully accepted. No admission fee. Info: 218-844-7469.
- Hootenanny & Smorgasbord: 6 to 10 p.m., Fair Hills Resort, 24270 County Road 20, Detroit Lakes. Join the staff of Fair Hills Resort in celebrating its’ 49th year of summer musical entertainment — and be sure to bring your appetite. Cost is $24 for adults, $16 for kids age 6-12, $8 for kids age 1-5. Info: 218-847-7638.
- Peers to Piers: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Little Detroit Lake Fishing Pier, West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. A family-friendly shore fishing opportunity in Detroit Lakes with experienced anglers. Each week will feature a special topic along with fishing from the shoreline and pier. All equipment is provided. Stop by anytime to join the fun! Free admission. Info: 218-846-8340.
Wednesday, July 10
- Wild Wednesdays: 10 to 11 a.m., Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, 35704 County Highway 26, Rochert. Explore the world of nature with your child or grandchild during this hour long adventure. Activities designed for 3-7 year olds. Meet at the Chippewa Picnic Area on County Hwy. 26, just east of the visitor center. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
- Cruise DL Night: 4 to 8:30 p.m., West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Bring your custom cruiser down to the lake to connect with others who have the same enthusiasm for old cars. Info: 218-847-9202.
- Women’s Wednesday: 3 to 5:30 p.m., Forest Edge Gallery, 46461-295th Avenue, Vergas. Bring your friends and enjoy an afternoon of fun and relaxation — live music, art demonstration, light snacks and prize drawings. Info: 218-342-2681.
- BMX Racing: 7 to 9 p.m., Becker County Fairgrounds, Race on Wednesday nights depending on weather/rain. First time racers always race for free. The do, however, need closed toe shoes, pants and a long sleeve shirt for safety. We do have some helmets they can use if needed. Racing is open to all ages (even adults) as long as they do not need training wheels. Info: David Myhre, 218-841-8736.
Thursday, July 11
- Russ Peterson: 5 to 8 p.m., Lodge on the Lake, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. Pianist performs; free and open to the public. Info: 218-847-8439.
- Mike Holtz: 6 to 9 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Part of the “Live Music Thursdays on the Patio” series. No admission fee. Info: 218-847-2121.
- Wildlife Excursions: 10 a.m. to noon, Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, 35704 County Highway 26, Rochert. Explore the refuge with a knowledgeable guide. Search for wildlife and learn about the cultural and natural history of Tamarac on this driving tour. Meet at the Chippewa Picnic Area on County Hwy. 26, just east of the visitor center. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
*** The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at firstname.lastname@example.org.