This Week in Entertainment
Wednesday, August 7
- Becker County Fair: 8 a.m. to midnight, Becker County Fairgrounds, Detroit Lakes. Entry Day includes judging for 4-H rabbit and poultry entries, exhibit entry and conference judging; live performances by entertainer Jared Sherlock at 2, 4 and 6 p.m. in the big tent, followed by Danny Holt at 7 p.m.; and the Llama & Alpaca Show at Foltz Arena, also at 7 p.m.
- Anthony Chaput: 5 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Singer-songwriter performs; no cover charge. Info: 218-847-5305.
- BMX Racing: 7 to 9 p.m., Becker County Fairgrounds, Race on Wednesday nights depending on weather/rain. First time racers always race for free. They do, however, need closed toe shoes, pants and a long sleeve shirt for safety. We do have some helmets they can use if needed. Racing is open to all ages (even adults) as long as they do not need training wheels. Info: David Myhre, 218-841-8736.
Thursday, August 8
- Becker County Fair: 8 a.m. to midnight, Becker County Fairgrounds, Detroit Lakes. Senior Citizen Day includes the choosing of Becker County’s Outstanding Senior Citizens at 1 p.m.; lamb, sheep, goat, swine and beef shows; live entertainment by Bill & Janice at 2, 4 and 7:30 p.m.; and the Miss Becker County Fair Pageant in the grandstand at 7 p.m.
- Looney Daze: Vergas’s annual summer festival kicks off with the Miss Vergas & Princess Altona Pageant in the Event Center at 7 p.m.
- T-Roy Anderson & the Blues Valley Band: 6 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. No cover charge. Info: 218-847-5305.
- Pederson-Mooridian Jazz Duo: 5 to 8 p.m., Lodge on the Lake, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. Live jazz music from John Pederson, trumpet; Jeff Mooridian, guitar. Info: 218-847-8439.
- Wildlife Excursions: 10 a.m. to noon, Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, 35704 County Highway 26, Rochert. Explore the refuge with a knowledgeable guide. Search for wildlife and learn about the cultural and natural history of Tamarac on this driving tour. Meet at the Chippewa Picnic Area on County Hwy. 26, just east of the visitor center. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
- Becker County Historical Society Kids Day: 1 to 3 p.m., Becker County Museum, 714 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. History scavenger hunts with educational opportunities for children and parents alike, exploring the county’s natural history. Presentations at 1 and 2 p.m. Info: 218-847-2938.
Friday, August 9
- Becker County Fair: 8 a.m. to midnight, Becker County Fairgrounds, Detroit Lakes. Kids Day includes dairy goat, horse and dairy cattle shows in Foltz Arena; strawberry jam and jelly contest; live entertainment from Lara Ernst in the big tent at 1, 3:30 and 4:30 p.m. as well as Tim Eggebraaten at 7:45 p.m.; and a demolition derby in the grandstand at 7 p.m There will also be kids’ games in the big tent starting at 1:45 p.m.
- Looney Daze: Vergas’s annual summer festival continues with rummage sales, flea market, “Looney Loon Egg Hunt,” a road race, Junior Royalty Pageant and a live performance from Celtic band Poitin at 7 p.m.
- Pine Point Pow Wow: The festivities begin with a demolition derby at 5 p.m. Info: Mike Swan, 218-573-2154.
- Drew Carey: 8 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen. Internationally renowned comedian and television star Drew Carey will perform live on stage. Tickets start at $20. Info: 1-800-313-7469.
Saturday, August 10
- Becker County Fair: 8 a.m. to midnight, Becker County Fairgrounds, Detroit Lakes. The fair concludes with Family Day activities including the market livestock auction at 9 a.m. in Foltz Arena; 4-H Fashion Revue under the big tent at 12:30 p.m.; 4-H Horse Fun Show in the horse arena at 1 p.m.; T. Texas Terry live entertainment under the big tent at 2, 3:30 and 4:45 p.m.; King Agassiz, Fair Builder and Century Farm Awards program under the big tent at 6 p.m.; and a pickup demo derby in the grandstand at 7 p.m. There will also be a tractor parade from Adkins Equipment to the fairgrounds starting at 10:30 a.m., with the tractors remaining on display at the fair after the parade until about 1:30 p.m.
- Looney Daze: Vergas’s annual summer festival continues with a Weiner Dog Nationals competition, salsa tasting contest, loon calling contest, square dancing expo, street fair, 5K run/walk and much more.
- Pine Point Pow Wow: The festivities continue with the Joe Bush Memorial 5k run or walk at 8:30 a.m.; the flag-raisin at 10 a.m.; grand entries at 1 and 7 p.m.; and a community feast at 5 p.m. Info: Mike Swan, 218-573-2154.
- Harbor Hills: 4 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Info: 218-847-5305.
- Gordy Bridgeford: 4 to 7 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Live music; no admission fee. Info: 218-844-5990.
- SOL Band: 9 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 East, Detroit Lakes. Info: 218-847-2121.
- The Arthurs: 9:30 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Info: 218-847-5305.
- Artisan Fair: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Shady Hollow Flea Market, Detroit Lakes. Hand-made arts and crafts for sale; food and beverage concessions also available; no admission fee. Info: 602-809-6661 (cell) or 1-480-922-8626.
Sunday, August 11
- Looney Daze: Vergas’s annual summer festival concludes with a classic car show and parade, the Looney Daze Parade at 2 p.m., strong man and woman contests, water fights and more.
- Pine Point Pow Wow: The festivities conclude with the flag-raising at 10 a.m.; Rez Car Parade at 11 a.m.; and the grand entry at 1 p.m. Info: Mike Swan, 218-573-2154.
- Mutt March: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Lucky Dog Boarding & Training Center, 1478 Mallard St., Detroit Lakes. The Mutt March has 3 routes to choose from. Activities include a food booth, carnival games, bake sale, silent auction and a gun raffle at 3 p.m. Need not be present to win. Tickets $10 each. Info: 218-849-8569.