This Week in Entertainment
Wednesday, Aug. 21
- Eric Reitan: 5 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Singer-songwriter performs; no cover charge. Info: 218-847-5305.
- BMX Racing: 7 to 9 p.m., Becker County Fairgrounds, Race on Wednesday nights depending on weather/rain. First time racers always race for free. They do, however, need closed toe shoes, pants and a long sleeve shirt for safety. We do have some helmets they can use if needed. Racing is open to all ages (even adults) as long as they do not need training wheels. Info: David Myhre, 218-841-8736.
Thursday, Aug. 22
- Live at the Lodge: 5 to 8 p.m., Lodge on the Lake, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. Featuring Ed Huttlin, piano and Russ Peterson, saxophone. No cover charge. Open to the public and hotel guests. Info: 218-847-8439.
- Wildlife Excursions: 10 a.m. to noon, Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, 35704 County Highway 26, Rochert. Explore the refuge with a knowledgeable guide. Search for wildlife and learn about the cultural and natural history of Tamarac on this driving tour. Meet at the Chippewa Picnic Area on County Hwy. 26, just east of the visitor center. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
- Becker County Historical Society Kids Day: 1 to 3 p.m., Becker County Museum, 714 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Today’s theme is “All Aboard! Railroads in Becker County.” Presentations at 1 and 2 p.m. Info: 218-847-2938.
Friday, August 23
- Dennis Craswell: 6 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. No cover charge. Info: 218-847-5305.
- Wynonna & the Big Noise: 8 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen. Five-time Grammy Award winner and country superstar Wynonna Judd, along with her band, The Big Noise, will perform live. Tickets start at $20 and can be purchased by phone at 1-800-313-7469, online at www.starcasino.com, or via the “Events” tab on Shooting Star’s Facebook page.
- Macaws for Paws: 5 to 9 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Lakes Area Parrot Heads presents a benefit for the Humane Society of the Lakes featuring tropical music by Denny Craswell, a silent auction, and raffle drawing. Raffle tickets are $10 each; drawing will take place at 9 p.m.
- Firefighters Dance: 8 p.m., The Pavilion, 1361 Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes. Featuring music by Boomtown. Admission is $5. Info: Dave Baer, Fire Chief, 218-844-0279.
Saturday, August 24
- Boats & Bars VIII: Eighth annual event to benefit Habitat for Humanity of the DL Area, sponsored by Lakes Area Parrot Heads. Doors open at 10 a.m., kickoff at Zorbaz at 11 a.m. with Denny Craswell. Party with Island Time on the sandbar from noon to 3 p.m., then head on over to the Bridge Marina Bar & Grill for more live music with the Hardwood Groove Trio from 3 to 4:30 p.m., followed by noon-3pm party with Island Time Denny Craswell and Russ Peterson at the Holiday Inn Beach Bar from 5 to 7 p.m. At 9 p.m., Zorbaz will feature more live music with Cruise Control.
- Eilert Helm: 4 to 7 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Info: 218-844-5990
- Artisan Fair: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Shady Hollow Flea Market, Detroit Lakes. Hand-made arts and crafts for sale; food and beverage concessions also available; no admission fee. Info: 602-809-6661 (cell) or 1-480-922-8626.
- Wander Through Wildflowers: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, Rochert. Join in a two-hour exploration in search of the sun-loving blooms of late summer. Meet at the Pine Lake Parking Area on County Highway 29. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
Sunday, August 25
- Cruise Control: 10 a.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Part of the Lakes Area Parrot Heads’ Boats & Bars VIII fundraiser; there will be a Bloody Mary Bar along with the live music.
- Marmalade Suede: 5 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. Americana jam rock. Info: 218-847-5305.
*** The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.