This Week in Entertainment
Wednesday, October 2
- “Under the Streetlamp”: 7:30 p.m., Gate City Bank Theatre, Fargodome, 1800 North University Drive, Fargo. Pop quartet comprised of former members of the Broadway touring production of “Jersey Boys” will perform their repertoire of The American Radio Songbook of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Reserved seating, all ages, tickets $51.50, $41.50 and $26.50. Info: 1-855-694-6367.
- Wine & Chocolate Wednesdays: 5 to 7 p.m., Lush Lola’s Event Center, 113 Graystone Plaza, Detroit Lakes. Wine and chocolate sampling; bring your own bottle, leave the cork and get a free gift certificate. Info: 218-234-2712.
Thursday, October 3
- Kathie Brekke & the 42nd Street Jazz Band: 7 to 9:30 p.m., Basie’s at the Ramada Plaza and Suites, 1635 42nd St. S., Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-277-9000.
Friday, October 4
- Five Finger Death Punch: 7:30 p.m., Venue at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo. General admission, all-ages show; tickets are $32.50 advance, $35 day of show. Info: 866-300-8300.
- Roster McCabe: 10 p.m., The Aquarium, 226 Broadway, Fargo. Tickets are $10 advance, $12 day of show. Info: 866-300-8300.
- First Friday F-M: 4 to 8 p.m., Moorhead Center Mall, 510 Center Ave., Moorhead. A community gathering where all are welcomed and encouraged to appreciate the local arts and handmade goods in Fargo-Moorhead; a platform for artists to share their work, sell their products and connect with other like-minded people in a common space. Free admission.
Saturday, October 5
- Tamarac Fall Festival: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, Rochert. Spend a day at the historic settlers’ cabins on the Refuge to celebrate Tamarac’s 75th birthday. Venture out on a guided refuge tour to discover Tamarac’s past while we look to the future. Become a refuge manager on the activity trail and learn about wildlife success stories along the way. View the Annual Photo Contest entries and vote for your favorite. Celebrate with cake in the afternoon. Lunch will be available for sale by the Friends of Tamarac. Note: Event may be postponed or canceled due to government shutdown. Visit www.fws.gov/midwest/tamarac or tamaracfriends.org for updates.
- The Fat Cats: 9:30 p.m., Zorbaz, 402 West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes. The lakes area’s favorite rockers perform. No cover charge. Info: 218-847-5305.
- Kathie Brekke & the 42nd Street Jazz Band: 6 to 9 p.m., Best Western Premier Lodge on the Lake, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. Live jazz; no cover charge. Info: 218-847-8439.
- Florida Georgia Line: 7:30 p.m., Scheels Arena, 5225 31st Ave. S., Fargo. Here’s to the Good Times Tour 2013, with guests Colt Ford and Dalls Smith. Info: 800-745-3000.
- Walk for Let’s Go Fishing: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Detroit Lakes City Park and Beach. Two mile walk to raise funds for the Detroit Lakes Area Let’s Go Fishing Program starts at 10 a.m. in front of the DL Pavilion; registration starts at 9 a.m. Teams and individual walkers welcome. Walk will be followed by a chili feed and awards program in the city park starting at 11 a.m. Info: Betty Hochhalter, 218-847-5670 or 218-841-1410.
- Damien Fall Home Tours: 12:30 to 4 p.m., homes near Detroit Lake, Floyd Lake, Little Floyd Lake and Cotton Lake. On this 33rd Annual Home Tour, you will visit six area homes: a 100 year old cottage that was rebuilt in 2003, a 1953 lake cabin that has been transformed, a log home built in 2006, a trendy twinhome, a new lake home built just three years ago, and a home designed and built by its owners. This is a fundraiser for a number of charities supported by the Damiens. Tickets $15, available at DL Newspapers, Chamber of Commerce, Detroit Paint & Glass, La De Da Décor & Design, The Wild Goose in Perham, and from Damien members. No children under age 10 permitted. Info: Gail Grabow, 218-847-3590.
Sunday, October 6
- Oktoberfest: 12 to 8 p.m., Event Center, 114 Lake St. NE, Frazee. Enjoy the 17th annual Oktoberfest in Frazee! Dance to live music by the Leon Olson Band of New Ulm, Minn., playing at 12, 2, 4, and 6 p.m.; and Marie and the Boys of Avon, Minn., at 1, 3, 5 and 7 p.m. German food, snacks and cash bar are available. Sponsored by the Frazee Area Community Club. Admission is $10 per person. Info: 800-407-2488.
- Central Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge Choir: 9 a.m., Grace Lutheran Church, 213 Roosevelt Ave., Detroit Lakes. This 30-member choir from Bemidji will perform contemporary gospel and praise songs, interspersed with their personal, inspirational stories of recovery from drug and alcohol addiction. Free and open to the public, though a free will offering will be taken. Info: 218-847-4568.
- Music for Methodists & Friends: 3 to 4:30 p.m., United Methodist Church, 200 Main St. W., Vergas. Come enjoy some fantastic music featuring Doug Newman, lead singer of the Fat Cats, and Patty McVane, former lead singer of Cattilac. Free will offering. Info: 218-342-2203.
- Greater Minnesota Rose Ensemble Tour: 7 to 9:30 p.m., Minnesota State University, 1104 7th Ave. S., Moorhead. The popular vocal ensemble presents “The Roots of Bluegrass.” Tickets available through the MSUM box office at $12 for adults or $9 for seniors and students with identification. Info: Jean Sramek, 651-225-4340.
Monday, October 7
- Greater Minnesota Rose Ensemble Tour: 7 to 9 p.m., First Lutheran Church, 912 Lake Ave., Detroit Lakes. See Sunday’s listing for details. Tickets are $12 for adults, or $9 for seniors and students with identification; buy two or more regularly priced tickets, over the phone or at the door and receive an additional ticket free. Info: Jean Sramek, 651-225-4340.
- “The Roots of Bluegrass”: 2 to 3 p.m., Trinity Lutheran Church, 1401 Madison Ave., Detroit Lakes. This lecture demonstration will be about the roots of bluegrass music and its origins. The audience will experience traditional songs, instruments and stories of ancient cultures and places; Appalachian foot stomping songs, southern harmony and shaker spirituals. Free admission. Info: Sandy Lia, 218-844-8340.
Tuesday, October 8
- Bullet for My Valentine: 7:30 p.m., Venue at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo. The Welsh quartet is touring behind its fourth studio album “Temper, Temper,” opening group is Black Veil Brides. Tickets are $29.50 advance, $35 day of show, additional fees may apply. Info: 866-300-8300.
*** The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in the Detroit Lakes Tribune. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at firstname.lastname@example.org.