This Week in Entertainment
Thursday, Oct. 24
- “Love Letters”: 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. This Pultzer Prize nominated play explores the bittersweet relationship of two characters — played by Detroit Lakes thespians Jim and Sharon Sinclair — spanning over 50 years, as told through the letters, notes and cards they wrote to each other. They discuss their hopes and ambitions, dreams and disappointments, soaring victories and crushing defeats. While life conspires to keep them apart, love inspires their journey together. Tickets are $12 for adults, $6 for students. Info: 218-844-7469 or www.dlccc.org.
Friday, October 25
- Neil McCoy: 8 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen. Country chart-topper performs his biggest hits and more. Tickets start at $10. Info: 800-313-7469.
- Beware the Vine: 8 p.m., The Creamery, New York Mills. With local band Dorthy Fix as the opening act. Cover charge $5. Info: 218-385-3339.
- “Love Letters”: 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. See Thursday’s listing for details.
Saturday, October 26
- April Spaeth: 7 to 9 p.m., Spanky’s Stone Hearth, 34785 County Road 4, Vergas. Enjoy a delightful dinner while listening to this gifted pianist gently tickle the ivories of Spanky’s baby grand piano. Info: 218-334-3555.
- 24 Seven: 9 to 11 p.m., Holiday Inn, 1155 Highway 10 East, Detroit Lakes. Enjoy live music with one of the area’s talented bands. Info: 218-847-2121.
- Sugar & Spice Craft Fair: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Frazee Elementary School, Frazee. The 36th annual event includes homemade craft items, noon lunch, assorted bars, rolls and beverages throughout the day. Info: 218-334-5071.
- Halloween Hoot: 12 to 2 p.m., Washington Square Mall, Detroit Lakes. Games, crafts and more. Parade of costumes is at 1 p.m. Info: 218-847-1679.
- Lakes Area Young Life Banquet: 5:30 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre Ballroom, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Come and see how God is working through the mission of Young Life to have an impact on kids’ lives in our community. Free admission, but please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend. Info: 218-.847-3567.
- Halloween Costume Party: 1 to 7 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Third annual costume party; prize for best costume to be awarded at 5:30 p.m. Special deals on wine and merchandise. Info: 218-844-5990.
- Pine Point Haunted House: 7 to 9 p.m., 48580 Pow Wow Highway, Ponsford. People coming into the Haunted House will be directed through a decorated maze of halls and different rooms with scary folks popping out of who-knows-where. Cover charge $5, with proceeds benefitting the Pine Point Powwow Committee.
Sunday, October 27
- Holmes Jam Session: 2 to 5 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre Ballroom, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Featuring local jazz/blues musician John Hutchinson; all area musicians are welcome to bring their instruments and join in an informal afternoon of live music. Info: 218-844-7469 or www.dlccc.org.
- Key Club Kids’ Halloween Party: 1 to 3 p.m., Detroit Lakes High School, 1301 Roosevelt Ave., Detroit Lakes. Carnival-style games, activities, candy and other treats. Admission $2. Info: 218-847-4491.
***The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in the Detroit Lakes Tribune. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.