This Week in Entertainment
Sunday, March 17
Sunday, March 17
- Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Master-works Concert: 2 p.m., Festival Concert Hall, North Dakota State University, Fargo. Guest conductor Darryl One leads the symphony and guest soloist Bella Hristova through works by Nelson, Bruch, Rossini and Elgar. Tickets range from $15 for students to $25 for adults. Info: 701-478-3676.
- “Moon Over Buffalo”: 2 p.m., Davies High School Theater, 7150 25th St. S., Fargo. The hilarious misunderstandings and madcap misadventures of Charlotte and George Hay who are on tour in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1949 and fate has given these thespians one more shot at starring roles in “The Scarlet Pimpernel” with director Frank Capra who himself is enroute to Buffalo to catch their matinee; tickets are $8 adults, $5 students. Info: 701-446-5768.
- “The Fox on the Fairway”: 2 p.m., Dawson Hall at Bonanzaville, 1315 Main Ave., West Fargo. Presented by the Harwood Prairie Playhouse, a tribute to the great English farces of the 1930s and 1940s; tick-ets are $12. Info: 701-298-6807.
- “All Around Town” Moorhead Ice Show: 12 p.m., Moorhead Sports Center, 324 24th St. S., Moorhead. Featuring over 150 skaters who participate in the Learn to Skate program and members of the Red River Valley Figure Skating Club, with guest skaters U.S. bronze medalists Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay; tickets at the door are $6.50 for adults, $4.50 ages 4-12, free for age 3 and younger. Info: 218-299-5430.
Monday, March 18
- NDSU Faculty Recital: 7:30 to 9 p.m., Beckwith Recital Hall, North Dakota State University, Fargo. Concert featuring Cecilia Kang, clarinet; free and open to the public. Info: 701-231-7969.
- FM Kicks Big Band: 8 p.m., Studio 222 at 222 Broadway, Fargo. Featuring works of Thad Jones, Gene Harris, Bill Finegan, Ian McDougall, Dick Fenno, Phil Wilson and more; free will donations accepted. Info: 218-790-4492.
- Open Jam Night: 9 p.m., Pickled Parrot, 505 3rd Ave. N., Fargo. Hosted by members of The Roosters, 8th Hour, Carmen the Cactus and October Road. Info: 701-356-5227.
- “In His Own Words”: 1 p.m., Memorial Union Gallery, North Dakota State University, Fargo. Stephen Frech will read poetry as part of the Second Martinson Broadside Memorial; free and open to the public. Info: 701-231-7932.
Tuesday, March 19
- Excelsior Trio: 7 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Three musicians from the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra perform as part of the Holmes Theatre’s Classical Music Series. Tickets are $10 for adults, free for students. Info: 218-844-7469.
- “Elvis Lives!”: 7:30 p.m., Gate City Gank Theatre, Fargodome, 1800 North University Drive, Fargo. Multimedia and live musical journey across Elvis’ life, his iconic style, embraced by many of today’s artists, continues to intrigue audiences of all generations, featuring finalists from Elvis Presley Enterprises’ worldwide Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest and a tribute to Ann-Margret; tickets are $26.50, $41.50 and $51.50. Info: 855-694-6367.
- “Living With Poetry”: 7 p.m., Spirit Room, 111 Broadway, Fargo. Stephen Frech will read poetry as part of the Second Martinson Broadside Memorial; free and open to the public. Info: 701-231-7932.
- “Stagecoach”: 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Edgewood Vista Theatre, 4440 37th Ave. S., Fargo. Watch and discuss the classic movie with film critic Tony McCrae; free and open to the public. Info: 701-365-8200.
- Exhibit Opening: 4:30 to 6 p.m., Bonanzaville, 1315 Main Ave., West Fargo. Reception for the new interactive exhibit, “You Are Here: Navigating North Dakota’s History,” with content from the Smithsonian and North Dakota State Historical Society that navigates the state’s boundaries and the development of the region geographically. Free admission to tour the exhibit during the reception; cake and wine will be served. Info: 701-282-2822.
Wednesday March 20
- Author Harold Augenbraum: 7 p.m., Zandbroz Variety, 420 Broadway, Fargo. The head of the National Book Foundation and founder of the Proust Society of America will read from his new book, “The Collected Poems of Marcel Proust.” Free and open to the public. Info: 701-239-4729.
- Ballroom Dancing: 7 to 9 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. A 30-minute swing dance lesson followed by open dancing, practice and pizza, all included with admission price of $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers; all ages welcome. Hosted by Northern Lights Ballroom. Info: 701-293-8306.
- Western Wednesday: 7:30 to 10 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. Social dance class featuring the Texas two-step and swing; beginners welcome, no partner needed. Admission is $5 per person. Info: 218-329-1735.
The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.