This Week in Entertainment
Sunday, March 24
- NDSU School of Music Inaugural Gala Concert: 2 p.m., Festival Concert Hall, North Dakota State University, Fargo. Celebrate the newly-named NDSU School of Music with performances by the concert choir and wind symphony. Free and open to the public. Info: 701-231-7969.
- “The Wizard of Oz”: 2 p.m., Shanley High School, 5600 25th St. S., Fargo. Follow the yellow brick road to Oz for an enchanted afternoon; all seats reserved. Call 701-893-3233 for tickets.
- “Dark”: 2 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. A full dome movie that explains and explores the nature of dark matter, the missing 80 percent of the mass of the universe; admission is $5, $2.50 for children 12 and younger, seniors and Tri-College students. Info: 218-477-2920.
Monday, March 25
- “Junie B. Jones”: 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., Historic Holmes Theatre, 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Theaterworks USA presents a musical based on the popular children’s book series. Tickets are $8 for adults, $4 for children. Info: 218-844-7469 or dlccc.org.
- FM Kicks Big Band: 8 p.m., Studio 222 at 222 Broadway, Fargo. Featuring the works of Thad Jones, Gene Harris, Bill Finegan, Ian McDougall, Dick Fenno, Phil Wilson and more; free will donations accepted. Info: 218-790-4492.
- Open Jam Night: 9 p.m., Pickled Parrot, 505 3rd Ave. N., Fargo. Hosted by members of The Roosters, 8th Hour, Carmen the Cactus and October Road. Info: 701-356-5227.
- “Dark”: 7 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. See today’s (Sunday) listing for details.
Tuesday, March 26
- Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue”: 6:30 p.m., Speak Easy, 1001 30th Ave. S., Fargo. Concordia music professor Russell Peterson presents this FM Communiversity course, which examines the 1959 Davis recording that has sold over 5 million copies. Peterson will then be joined for a performance of the entire record by fellow musicians and music faculty members Allen Carter, David Ferreira, Doug Neill, Matt Patnode and Tom Straight. Phone registration only; course fee is $48 and includes a meal and glass of wine as well as the performance and discussion. Info: 218-299-3438.
- Portentia-A Cele-bration of Singing Men: 7:30 p.m., Trinity Lutheran Church, 210 7th St. S., Moorhead. Featuring the North Dakota State University, Concordia College and University of North Dakota men’s choirs. Free and open to the public. Info: 701-231-7932.
- Photographer Daniel Mirer: 7 p.m., King Hall Auditorium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. Professor of photography and media arts at Webster University, Leiden, The Netherlands, Mirer has exhibited internationally and his work is represented in many collections across the U.S. Free admission. Info: 218-477-2317.
Wednesday, March 27
- “The Seven Last Words of Christ” Cantata: 7 p.m., First Lutheran Church, 619 Broadway, Fargo. David Ferreira will conduct the First Lutheran Church Cathedral Choir; orchestra will consist of First Lutheran members and members of the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra; vocal soloists are Darci Bultema, David Hamilton and Peter Halverson. Free will offerings accepted. Info: 701-235-7389.
- Ballroom Dancing: 7 to 9 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. A 30-minute swing dance lesson followed by open dancing, practice and pizza, all included with admission price of $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers; all ages welcome. Hosted by Northern Lights Ballroom. Info: 701-293-8306.
- Western Wednesday: 7:30 to 10 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. Social dance class featuring the Texas two-step and swing; beginners welcome, no partner needed. Admission is $5 per person. Info: 218-329-1735.
The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at firstname.lastname@example.org.