This Week in Entertainment
Sunday, March 31
- “Dark”: 2 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. A full dome movie that explains and explores the nature of dark matter, the missing 80 percent of the mass of the universe; admission is $5, $2.50 for children 12 and younger, seniors and Tri-College students. Info: 218-477-2920.
Monday, April 1
- Allen Carter’s Monday Night Big Band: 8 p.m., Studio 222 at 222 Broadway, Fargo. Many of the area’s finest jazz musicians gather for the last time this season to perform a mix of standards and originals, proceeds benefit scholarships for jazz students at local universities. Admission $7. Info: 218-552-1020.
- Open Jam Night: 9 p.m., Pickled Parrot, 505 3rd Ave. N., Fargo. Hosted by members of The Roosters, 8th Hour, Carmen the Cactus and October Road. Info: 701-356-5227.
- “Dark”: 7 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. See today’s (Sunday) listing for details.
Tuesday, April 2
- Lake Agassiz Concert Band: 7:30 p.m., Lake Park-Audubon High School Theatre, Lake Park. Fargo-Moorhead-based community band presents a concert, along with the Lake Park Audubon High School Varsity Band. It is free and open to the public.
- Twizted & Hed PE: 7 p.m., Venue at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo. Rock music; general admission seating, all ages show. Tickets $20 in advance, $23 day of show. Info: 866-300-8300.
- Faculty Recital: 7:30 p.m., Christiansen Recital Hall, Concordia College, Moorhead. Featuring Marla Fogderud, soprano, performing works by J.S. Bach, Edvard Grieg, Roger Quilter and others. Free and open to the public. Info: 218-299-3642.
- Square Dancing: 6:30 p.m., Cash Wise Community Room, 1401 33rd St. S., Fargo. Roger McNeil will serve as caller. Dine and dance starts at 5:30 p.m., hosted by Roger’s Plus.
Wednesday, April 3
- Square Dancing: 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., Madison Community Room, 1040 29th St. N., Fargo. Jim Lizakowski will serve as caller. Hosted by the Prairie Promenaders.
- Ballroom Dancing: 7 to 9 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. A 30-minute waltz lesson followed by open dancing, practice and pizza, all included with admission price of $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers; all ages welcome. Hosted by Northern Lights Ballroom. Info: 701-293-8306.
- Western Wednesday: 7:30 to 10 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. Social dance class featuring the Texas two-step and swing; beginners welcome, no partner needed. Admission is $5 per person. Info: 218-329-1735.
Thursday, April 4
- Dulcimer Jam: 6:30 p.m., Lincoln Park, 207 Park St., Detroit Lakes. Use Park Street entrance; open to all who are interested.
- Steve Bell Concert: 7 p.m., Valley Christian Church, 611 37th Ave. S., Moorhead. Award-winning Canadian singer-songwriter performs; tickets $12. Info: 218-233-7856.
- Kathie Brekke & the 42nd Street Jazz Band: 7 p.m., Basie’s at the Ramada Plaza Suites, 1635 42nd St. S., Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-281-7105.
- “F-M’s Finest”-Dann K and Black Casket with Riesage: 8 p.m., House of Rock at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo. Cover charge $5.
- The Tell: 7 to 9 p.m., Studio 222 at 222 N. Broadway, Fargo. Season finale of monthly audience-participation-based storytelling showcase features previous months’ winners. Admission is $5 cash or credit at the door. Info: 701-412-3869.
- Thursday Night Comedy: 8 p.m., Courtney’s Comedy Club, 600 30th Ave. S., Moorhead. Cover charge $10; half price admission with college or military ID. Free open mic after the show. Info: 218-287-7100.
The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.